Mag and feeding problems

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Mag and feeding problems

Postby wattg » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:51 pm

thanks for reply ... anyways here is my midway order link

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/897816 ... -16-barrel

looks genuine bushmaster to me .. anyways .. liking this community
thanks
wattg

Postby BayShoreBallistics » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:01 pm

That is the genuine Bushmaster. Have you already placed your order for it?

I should also mention that none of the 450B uppers that I have built have required any special modifications to the lower to function properly. It is really a pretty forgiving caliber in the AR platform. Using a rifle length gas system can be a problem but that is really an ammunition issue not a lower receiver issue. And of course, magazines can cause troubles at times.
Liberty and Freedom for All!(Some restrictions apply, must be over 18 and not available in all states)
BayShoreBallistics

Postby wattg » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:15 pm

BayShoreBallistics wrote:That is the genuine Bushmaster. Have you already placed your order for it?

I should also mention that none of the 450B uppers that I have built have required any special modifications to the lower to function properly. It is really a pretty forgiving caliber in the AR platform. Using a rifle length gas system can be a problem but that is really an ammunition issue not a lower receiver issue. And of course, magazines can cause troubles at times.

sorry for late response been having too much fun with my new gun ... yeah barrel works great with my lower .. no jams yet ... I even took the feeder out of the mag that came with my purchased 450 barrel and put into my 30 round 223 bcm mag .. so i could load 9 rounds .. rapid fire test .. no jams .. very impressed. Been blowing up 2 liters of soda ... but I think i need to take this bad boy hunting .
wattg

Postby BayShoreBallistics » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:42 am

Yeah you should get it out in the woods to see how it puts the smackdown on the deer! Glad it is working well for you too.
Liberty and Freedom for All!(Some restrictions apply, must be over 18 and not available in all states)
BayShoreBallistics

Postby Cutright » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:25 pm

I put a CCWS on the gun with a Tubbs flat spring. I cycled a couple of 230gr RN through it with no problems or "spring" feeling. The second test I loaded a couple more and put a 275gr Barnes with a side crimp on the bottom to see if the bullet still moved with the recoil. The second shot jammed. I shot it and it cycled the Barnes ok. I then measured it (no change), but I noticed that the very tip of the plastic part of the bullet was hanging by a thread. Is that an issue that I need to address in the feeding system? I'm not too worried about the jam, since it was with a RN and I know those can be tricky
Cutright

Postby Z-Rider » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:30 pm

Finally got around to sighting in my Thumper in Sunday and had feed issues with both 5 round mags I have. One is the factory Bushmaster mag and the other an AR Stoner. Both would fail to feed the second round as they were wedging between the centering plates in the top of the mags. So last night it was surgery time. Removed the plates from both mags and smoothed and polished the feed lips. Also removed one coil from each spring. Cycle tested each mag from fully loaded to empty with zero issues now. Hope to make it to the range this week to give each a true live fire run down to ensure no problems still exist. Will report back with my findings.
Z-Rider

Postby Chris P Bacon » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:07 pm

Please do get back with us and let us know how it goes? The steps you have taken shouldn't hurt anything, but may not completely solve the issue (on it's own). I have never had to remove coils from the springs, but I have had to bend the feed lips inward, slightly, to hold down the next round.

There's a post on this site about that issue specifically. Let your google foo shine, and if you cannot find it, hit us back and perhaps we can locate it for you.

Which reminds me, I seem to remember a post that Hoot wrote, saying that someone soon was going to make a magazine, spec'd specifically for the 450BM.

Dunno what manufacturer, But I'd like to know?

Hoot?
Chris P Bacon

Postby Z-Rider » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:24 pm

I believe it was Bartz that was making a 450BM spec magazine.
Z-Rider

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:46 pm

Bartz it is...they have a 5-round, and may have a 9-round ready to go.

http://bartzman.com/uppers/450-bushmaster/

Best to call them, or use their "contact us" form...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:02 am

yeah Bartz, I picked one up a couple weeks ago, smooth and flawless so far.
Al in Mi

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles