Mag and feeding problems

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Mag and feeding problems

Postby helidude350 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:20 pm

It looks to me that you don't have a clean hole.
( sorry for getting personal ).
I'm not saying that is the cause of the malfunction , but could be a part of it.
It looks to me like the bolt face ejector hole was drilled with a dull bit. The burr on the
hole is leaving the marks, like it is trying to cut a hole in your brass. Not just squishing it into the hole.

Are they sending a bolt also?

I'm not up to speed on diagnosing an over gassing issue, but I don't think that the under-par bolt is the only issue.
I hope bushy gets you taken care of, and you don't get discouraged because this is a really cool caliber.

It's customary that gun companies send extra mags when they have to do warranty work.
( would be kinda like sending extra homework in this case ;) )

Maybe they could just exchange you an upper with one they have in stock after giving it an extra peek.
That would save you from having to wait on two trips plus time.
I feel that you have put in more than your share on solving it.

Tell them I said " Just give him the pickle!"

Trying to think if I can come up with something else helpful.
helidude350

Postby wildcatter » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Hoot wrote:Ooh! You have an overgassed rifle, complete with all the telltale symptoms. Best advice would be to send it back to the factory along with those cases. The bad news is that means some down time right when you are wanting to shoot it the most, but that is the best approach. I bet is comes back with a new barrel that has the correct gas port size. I assume your RRA lower has the original spring and buffer it came with? The first 2k rounds through my 450b was on the same lower and it did not suffer from that with factory loads.

Call and get an RMA

Hoot

Edit: don't send back the magazine. You already put too much work into it. ;)

I gotta agree with Hoots assessment. And, I haven't read all of the posts, that system looks like it's had plenty of traffic over the bolt. As for the "Shows" on the bolt it looks like there is Offal evolved too, this usually from over loads, but Hoots prognosis, is on the right track.

I would call them back and plead the case for "Special Handling" and offer to send the best Pepperoni Pizza as a bribe. But Please Bushy, handle this personally and get it done for the Hunt, .."I'll even send the pictures for your Marketing guys!!! Etc.. In the mean time take out the bolt parts, and get ready with the ammo and all, so after you detail clean the bolt and are now ready for the new parts when they show up. You also, wanna keep you plate clean so you can go shooting right away.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby helidude350 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:41 pm

And if you can't take the 450b,.....
A 3500 will do nicely.

Got my first deer with a Chevy .

( or F250 if that's your preferred flavor. Mopar just spoils the meat. As for Toyota , Nissan , or Mazda .... Rednecks don't eat road kill sushi)

'Bon Apetitte!
helidude350

Postby Sesshoku » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:59 pm

Helidude,

I almost shot Coke out of my nose when I read that first sentence. Lol. Thanks for the comic relief! And, thanks for the info. After reading what you guys have to say, I suppose the best course of action is to get the whole thing sent in. I think even if I don't get to take it on my hunt, I would rather it just be right than to rush something as a patch job. If nothing else, a 12 gauge slug will kill a hog just as dead.

I am not knowledgeable enough to diagnose specific problems on the AR platform but I do know when something's not right. And this ain't right. I'm going to give them a call back and plead my case then overnight the thing to them. I can say that when it did work, I was ridiculously excited to shoot it. I had more than one 1/2-inch group at 100 yards, and that's better than my trusty old, heavy, bolt-action 12-guage that I've been killin with for years. I can't wait to get a working model of the .450BM, and all I can say when I do is the deer in NE Indiana better have their heads on a swivel.
Last edited by Sesshoku on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sesshoku

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:14 pm

On second thought, Yeah. In your case, I would overnight it to them and just be patient. This is unfortunate, but playing with adjustable gas blocks at this juncture is a waste of $ and time.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 pm

Sesshoku wrote:...snip... My guess is there is very little chance (read almost no chance) that I get the upper back in time for this hunt four weeks from now even if I overnight it to BM right now...snip...

Never assume, but you need to act on Monday. Call them and explain your dilemma. Ask them outright if it can be addressed and back in that time frame. If they jerk you around, perhaps Tim can make a phone call on your behalf. If it takes longer than expected, perhas some member near you will loan you theirs. I'd loan you mine, but it's totally disassembled while I'm waiting for some parts on backorder. I forgot to ask if you were using ammo obtained all at the same time, as in from the same lot number? Never know if some got out of the factory too hot, though I doubt it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Sesshoku » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:41 pm

I plan to be on it first thing Monday. I just think it's best given my limited knowledge to have them get it right rather than have me try to do a patch job that may not even work. The ammo I used was made in two purchases, but this problem was neither better nor worse no matter which box I used. It's been consistently bad. I do have another 100 rounds on order.
Sesshoku

Postby dec » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:39 am

Send your upper back Chad. You are welcome to take my upper for your hunt.
Derek Craig
dec

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:59 am

The members on this forum are more valuable than gold. Couldn't ask for a better bunch of thumper addicts!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Sesshoku » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:27 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:The members on this forum are more valuable than gold. Couldn't ask for a better bunch of thumper addicts!

You can say that again. I was concerned about even posting anything about this issue because folks on some other forums jump all over the chance to flame somebody who doesn't know what the forum thinks they should know. This group has been fantastic in its willingness to help.

Good luck dropping some SC swine today, DEC. Can't wait to see some hero shots.
Sesshoku

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles