Mag and feeding problems

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Mag and feeding problems

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:55 am

Hoot, MudBug and myself don't tolerate flame thrower use. Three strikes and you're out. Maybe less if you catch Hoot or myself in the proper mood. But Hoot and I have been here quite a while and I can't remember but ONE member that got the sledge hammer from me and that was at a senior members' request. The rest of the dimwits that Hoot and I take a flyswatter to, you guys never even get subjected to them. They are mostly spammers, phishers, and trolls who never get past their first post. Yawl carry on... We got this.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:00 am

Sesshoku wrote:I plan to be on it first thing Monday. I just think it's best given my limited knowledge to have them get it right rather than have me try to do a patch job that may not even work. The ammo I used was made in two purchases, but this problem was neither better nor worse no matter which box I used. It's been consistently bad. I do have another 100 rounds on order.

Good on you, Mondays the day!

No Doubt we'd fix it for you but time has already run out. Bushy has all the tools and if you can get them to move at Warp speed, then you'll get it for the hunt. But sounds like Dec is taking care of you.

But for Sunday, check the "Extractor", is it broken? I have seen the tip of the extractor break and the piece get's wedged into the "Ejector" slot, and give swipe evidence, such as yours. if you find the extractor is broken, dissemble and detail clean the bolt. when the ejector comes out, at that point, you may find an eighth inch, half moon, sliver of steel, you've got your problem. Reassemble with good parts and you're off the the races!!

..t

Ps.. scrap most of that, I just re-looked at your pics. The extractor "Does Not" look broken. But a chunk of one of the case rims "Does" look sheared off. Which would account for the funny looking ejector swipe on the brass case facing. If this is the case, again detail clean the bolt and look for half-moon Brass shavings clean them out. This could be have easily been brought on, and seen by Hoots astute eye, from over gassing. If any of this turns out to be true, just cleaning the bolt, will be the game changer. However, it may happen again, if you don't take care of the over gassing problem.

If the gas port size is the culprit, then timing is the root cause. Which is why I am, and have been using the Corvette conversion, eliminating any timing issues. In other words we may find out the the bolt is just opening to soon, before the case releases from the chamber, then ripping off a small portion of case rim, the piece(s) getting wedged in the ejector, etc., and all this because it is over Gassed. So Bushy can either give you a new barrel, plus parts or if you can't get satisfaction there, we'll convert it to a Corvette.

Of course I am assuming this is the problem and it might not be the "Real Problem", no way to tell for sure, unless I had it on my bench. But for now, I'm in Hoots camp. Either way, you're out of time and sending it back to Bushy may be your only real option..

..t
Last edited by wildcatter on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Sesshoku » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:36 pm

I spoke with Bushmaster again first thing this morning, and my upper is now on its way with the photos I posted here to the factory for repair. I explained the issues again, which they already had noted from my previous discussion. They assured me I "should" have it back in my hands with time to spare for sighting in before my hunt. I'll take them at their word. Though, I may have named dropped a couple of you guys here on the forum as support for my cause.

In any case, thanks again to everyone for all of your advice. I also want to especially thank those of you who offered to let me use your rigs on my hunt. That is awesome.

Now I'll just be over here impatiently counting the days until I get a notice of return shipment. I just received a batch of new factory Hornady ammo today from Palmetto State Armory ($24.95/box), and everything will be ready for a trip back to the range the day that upper gets back here.

Chad
Sesshoku

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Sesshoku wrote:...snip...Though, I may have named dropped a couple of you guys here on the forum as support for my cause....snip
Chad

And they still treated you in a civil fashion?! Imagine that... ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:17 pm

Hey I drop names all the time.

I got stopped, the other day, by the Police in ID and told them I new Hoot, and then promptly got a $155 DOLLAR TICKET!! I hate to think what the charges would have been without Hoots HELP!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:59 pm

Hoot wrote:
Sesshoku wrote:...snip...Though, I may have named dropped a couple of you guys here on the forum as support for my cause....snip
Chad

And they still treated you in a civil fashion?! Imagine that... ;)

Hoot

I can just hear those guys at Bushmaster now..... "Those guys know more about our product than we do...."
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jtee007 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:37 pm

I recently purchased a 450bm upper off of gunbroker and was initially very disappointed. The gun wouldn't extract a round or properly eject a round. I watched some YouTube videos of people who had the same problem and after disassembling the bcg 20-30 times and milling the extractor part of the bcg so it would actually grab a round and milling the ejection port so a round would actually fit through it I am in love with the rifle. But out of the box quality control was a bit shotty for spending $800 on a nib upper I have to say was a bit disappointing. That being said the gun literally blows the center out of targets in 2 mags. No stray shots gun is consistently shooting sub 3" groups at 150 yds and shoots fast enough to ignite tannerite. 2200 fps with a round that big is awesome. Deer season can not come soon enough!!!
Jtee007

Postby Sesshoku » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Factory repair turnaround time was pretty darn good, I must say. I got my upper back today with two weeks to spare before my trip to get it sighted back in. I'll hold my excitement in reserve, however, until I can get to the range (hopefully tomorrow) to make sure the repair work actually fixed the problems. I sent it to Bushmaster (Remington) for repair on 2/24 and got it back today, so it was out of my hands for just 10 days. Unfortunately, there was no description of the work they did, but I'll post an update on functionality this weekend.
Sesshoku

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Sesshoku wrote:Factory repair turnaround time was pretty darn good, I must say. I got my upper back today with two weeks to spare before my trip to get it sighted back in. I'll hold my excitement in reserve, however, until I can get to the range (hopefully tomorrow) to make sure the repair work actually fixed the problems. I sent it to Bushmaster (Remington) for repair on 2/24 and got it back today, so it was out of my hands for just 10 days. Unfortunately, there was no description of the work they did, but I'll post an update on functionality this weekend.

Did you put a "witness" mark somewhere on the barrel to tell if they replaced it? Glad you got it back with time to spare!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Sesshoku » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:02 pm

They did not replace the barrel. I have found a note that says they polished the chamber and tested the upper. I can vouch for the fact that they tested it since it was retuned to me uncleaned. The bore has powder residue, and upon pulling the bcg out I found all the parts to the bolt are filthy. The bolt face has a ton of brass on it, similar to the way it was in my previous photos. It was not sent in that way. I field stripped and cleaned everything before shipping it in. All I know is I am going to be pissed if all they did was polish the chamber and that doesn't actually fix the problems I've had. They obviously fired it several times, so I'll hold out hope that whatever they did worked. I just hope I don't have issues creep back up later. I'm hitting the range tomorrow afternoon.
Sesshoku

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles