Pistol Calibers for Deer Hunting

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Pistol Calibers for Deer Hunting

Postby gramps » Thu May 08, 2014 9:08 am

I found a better link to view the DNR/NRC meeting. The meeting is today at 1:00 PM.

https://mucc.org/home/policy/policy-and ... cy-videos/
gramps

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Thu May 08, 2014 12:47 pm

I must of missed it. The first link didn't work. Do you know what came out of the meeting?
LegendInMyOwnMind

Postby gramps » Thu May 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Legend

The link from the DNR web site was a dud. The link to the home page of the MUCC worked but ya had to scroll thru the the banner at the left side of the page. The last link posted was a winner it went directly to where the video was.

I watched the meeting. When rifles for zone 3 was discussed, it did include the case lengths listed in HB 4283. BUT, the words TRADITIONAL PISTOL CARTRIDGES were included. Not sure what the final wording will be.
gramps

Postby wildcatter » Thu May 08, 2014 4:25 pm

gramps wrote:Legend

The link from the DNR web site was a dud. The link to the home page of the MUCC worked but ya had to scroll thru the the banner at the left side of the page. The last link posted was a winner it went directly to where the video was.

I watched the meeting. When rifles for zone 3 was discussed, it did include the case lengths listed in HB 4283. BUT, the words TRADITIONAL PISTOL CARTRIDGES were included. Not sure what the final wording will be.

Some where they have to define what "TRADITIONAL PISTOL CARTRIDGES" are or I'm going to say the 450 Bushmaster is and so is the 45-70 etc.!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Thu May 08, 2014 6:38 pm

wildcatter wrote:
gramps wrote:Legend

Some where they have to define what "TRADITIONAL PISTOL CARTRIDGES" are or I'm going to say the 450 Bushmaster is and so is the 45-70 etc.!!

..t

Right on WC!
LegendInMyOwnMind

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Fri May 09, 2014 6:44 am

Is the proposal adopted or is there more till it is a "done deal"? Unfortunately I couldn't see the meeting.
LegendInMyOwnMind

Postby gramps » Fri May 09, 2014 7:11 am

legend

From what I can find the final decision will be made in June or July. Second paragraph in this link

https://mucc.org/proposed-expansion-cer ... tgun-zone/

Rep. Lori mentioned June in the last email up date I received.
gramps

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Fri May 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks Gramps! I need to pay attention! :D
LegendInMyOwnMind

Postby Handgunner » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Hello all
I attended the Natural Resources Committee meeting yesterday. I spoke before the commissioners on the proposal.
Here is the proposed law as written
06wco2014-Legal language for straight-walled cartridges.
A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches. (No mention of only pistol cartridges.)
I also took an inert 450 Bushy and a Smith 460 round with me for comparison and showed them to the commissioners. I wanted to show they were almost identical but for the 460 being a little longer. Also that they were pushing the same diameter bullets. That actually the 460 when shot out of a revolver had more velocity that the 450 out of a 20" barrel. When I asked the commission if there were any rifle restrictions they bowed to the DNR person who apparently put it all together and he advised there are no restrictions on the rifles to be allowed only the cartridges. At that time I stated that the AR type rifles have been getting a bad rap in the press because of some of the tragic shootings and that it was a great hunting firearm. I also talked to Major Molnar who is the second in command of the DNR Law Enforcement division.He stated he knew several hunters who use the AR type rifles for hunting up North. In talking with him I found out you could not find a more friendly, cordial and knowledgeable person. He is indeed a great representative of his division.
As it stands it looks like the law will go into effect this year with the cartridge restrictions as stated and no rifle type restrictions.
RETIRED
US ARMY VET. 1966/1968
Deputy Sheriff & Fire Fighter
Life Member NRA/1976
Firearms Enthusiast
Handgunner

Postby gramps » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:28 am

gramps

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles