Pistol Calibers for Deer Hunting

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Pistol Calibers for Deer Hunting

Postby MarkCO » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:59 pm

wildcatter wrote:In MI, as it was "Passed" by our House. They did not specify any specific cartridges, but the bill did say only STRAIGHT WALLED CARTRIDGES, with a CASE LENGTH of 1.16" & 1.8". The 450b and the 500S&W make that requirement..

..t

Yep, that is a "box" regulation, and it works. The Ohio one is just silly.
MarkCO

Postby gramps » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Handgunner wrote:I just finished reading the minutes of the NRC (Natural Resources Commission) from March. The new proposed straight walled cartridge law was discussed. It was tabled until a later meeting. From what I read and interpreted it looks like it was accepted favorably.
I called the DNR law enforcement division and the officer beat a little around the bush. When I asked if she knew anything about it she heard that it may be discussed at the July or August meeting. I asked if that would be to late for this season to be included into the game law pamphlet she said no because that is printed in August.
I called Representative Matt Lori's office and had to leave a message. Once I get info from them I will share.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/M ... 3633_7.pdf

I read the PDF a couple of times and did not find any info in the posted minutes that was mentioned above.

It is possible that I missed something. If I did please let me know.
gramps

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:48 pm

Handgunner wrote:I just finished reading the minutes of the NRC (Natural Resources Commission) from March. The new proposed straight walled cartridge law was discussed. It was tabled until a later meeting. From what I read and interpreted it looks like it was accepted favorably.
I called the DNR law enforcement division and the officer beat a little around the bush. When I asked if she knew anything about it she heard that it may be discussed at the July or August meeting. I asked if that would be to late for this season to be included into the game law pamphlet she said no because that is printed in August.
I called Representative Matt Lori's office and had to leave a message. Once I get info from them I will share.

I already received an email from his office stating that they are putting it in the deer hunting guide for 2014.
LegendInMyOwnMind

Postby Handgunner » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:57 pm

Legend
Would it be possible to post it here on the forum?
Thanks
Last edited by Handgunner on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RETIRED
US ARMY VET. 1966/1968
Deputy Sheriff & Fire Fighter
Life Member NRA/1976
Firearms Enthusiast
Handgunner

Postby Handgunner » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:19 am

Hello
Here it is from the source.
Hi Barry,
You have heard correctly, this was an agreement reached with DNR who felt that it was the more positive way to go, prior to being forced to by a public act.

We are hopeful that this will be in place by this year’s hunting season.

We can still re-activate the bill should this not happen.

Representative Lori appreciates your kind words of appreciation.
RETIRED
US ARMY VET. 1966/1968
Deputy Sheriff & Fire Fighter
Life Member NRA/1976
Firearms Enthusiast
Handgunner

Postby gramps » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:31 am

I'm gonna attempt to paste an email that I just got from Matt Lori's office. IT IS TRUE.

RE: Lori Contact Form - gophouse.org
Rep. Matt Lori (District 59)
To Me
Today at 11:03 AM

Hi Don,

No, not a rumor, this was an agreement reached with DNR who felt that this was the more positive way to go, prior to being forced to by a public act.

Sincerely

Susan Martin

Chief of Staff

District 59

517-373-0XXX

Sorry for my doubt on this. Ya just can't always bank on everything that is posted on the internet. Once again, Sorry.

Edited:4-18-14 at 7:25pm
x-ed last 3 of phone number
gramps

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:23 am

gramps wrote:I'm gonna attempt to paste an email that I just got from Matt Lori's office. IT IS TRUE.

RE: Lori Contact Form - gophouse.org
Rep. Matt Lori (District 59)
To Me
Today at 11:03 AM

Hi Don,

No, not a rumor, this was an agreement reached with DNR who felt that this was the more positive way to go, prior to being forced to by a public act.

Sincerely

Susan Martin

Chief of Staff

District 59

517-373-0XXX

Sorry for my doubt on this. Ya just can't always bank on everything that is posted on the internet. Once again, Sorry.

Edited:4-18-14 at 7:25pm
x-ed last 3 of phone number

That's weird because my email said they would for sure institute it for this season.
LegendInMyOwnMind

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Here is my letter:

Dear Mr. *********
Thank you for your email regarding HB 4283.

We have reached a compromise with DNR on this issue, which may avoid proceeding with the bill. DNR has agreed to include straight walled cartridges in its list of approved ammunition in its hunting guidelines. They have promised to have this in place for the 2014 hunting season, and will give it a three year trial to test for any negative results.

If after three years, they are satisfied that it causes no additional problems for hunters, they will then make it standard ammunition for hunters.

We feel this is a good compromise, and will be checking with DNR to ensure that they have the guidelines in place by the Fall of 2014. Should that not be the case, Representative Lori will request the Senate to proceed with the bill.

Thank you for your interest in this subject.

Sincerely

Susan Martin
Chief of Staff
District 59
517-373-0***
LegendInMyOwnMind

Postby gramps » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:41 pm

Legend
I may have bothered them on a busy and what may have been a short work day. It was Good Friday when I requested info, and the reply from Mr. Lori's staff came back within a few hours.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the new regs show in this years Michigan Hunting Guide and that the DNR includes this change as was worded in HB 4283. I guess I'm saying keep it simple. Straight wall with minimum 1.16 and max 1.800 case length. Also not to include the Senate S-1 substitute to HB 4283 which would only allow centerfire rifles to be used during the regular firearm deer season. Early and late season should be the same in my opinion.

Have a good one
Don

Edit:8:05 PM 4/19/14
Last edited by gramps on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gramps

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Agreed Don. My AR is ready!
LegendInMyOwnMind

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles