:-) Just ordered my upper..

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

:-) Just ordered my upper..

Postby thatguy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:44 pm

I am psyched - I just ordered my upper from Cabelas.. I only got 5 boxes of ammo but that will hold me for a while I hope.. After redeeming gift certificates I am only out of pocked $304 - the wife cant complain too much over that.. LOL

Thanks for a great forum for information..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Re: :-) Just ordered my upper..

Postby MudBug » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Get in the habit of buying a couple boxes of ammo when you see it for sale, even if you don't need it.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 pm

thatguy wrote:I am psyched - I just ordered my upper from Cabelas.. I only got 5 boxes of ammo but that will hold me for a while I hope.. After redeeming gift certificates I am only out of pocked $304 - the wife cant complain too much over that.. LOL

Thanks for a great forum for information..

Brian

WAY-TO-GO-THATGUY!!! Another suggestion is to buy one more box of ammo, so you'll always have one hundred pieces of brass, cause most of our bullets either come in 50 packs or packs of 100...Can't wait until you start posting about your adventures, with the most exciting weapon ever! And if your wife complains I'll have mine talk to her..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby thatguy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:26 pm

My wife really doesn't care what I buy, BUT I do try to tell her when I buy something big just so it wont come back to bite me in the rear..

As I was redeeming points for gift certificates from Discover Card for her fathers christmas present I told her I was going to 'also get some gift certificates for Cabelas and order some stuff for hunting'. her response was 'that sounds good to me".. She had no idea i was ordering almost a $1k worth of stuff though.. And Im not telling her.. :lol:

I need to figure the ABC's of reloading and figure out what I need to get started on that.. My neighbor has most of the machines but I need to get 450B specific stuff figured out..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby wildcatter » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:47 pm

thatguy wrote:My wife really doesn't care what I buy, BUT I do try to tell her when I buy something big just so it wont come back to bite me in the rear..

As I was redeeming points for gift certificates from Discover Card for her fathers christmas present I told her I was going to 'also get some gift certificates for Cabelas and order some stuff for hunting'. her response was 'that sounds good to me".. She had no idea i was ordering almost a $1k worth of stuff though.. And Im not telling her.. :lol:

I need to figure the ABC's of reloading and figure out what I need to get started on that.. My neighbor has most of the machines but I need to get 450B specific stuff figured out..

Brian

This is a good place to start, if you don't want to get into allot of money. It's cheap, but in no way junk. The next best is the starter kit from RCBS, now that's what some may call Front-Line-Goodies, but as I said the Lee Anniversary kit is good stuff and a great starter kit, then get a set of Hornady Dies and you're in business..
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/anivers.html
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby thatguy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:55 pm

wildcatter wrote:This is a good place to start, if you don't want to get into allot of money. It's cheap, but in no way junk. The next best is the starter kit from RCBS, now that's what some may call Front-Line-Goodies, but as I said the Lee Anniversary kit is good stuff and a great starter kit, then get a set of Hornady Dies and you're in business..

I was wondering about the lee anniversary unit.. I have seen it online for under $100 and was wondering how good it was.. Some of the kits I have seen mentioned here (the rock chucker) are way more expensive.. I havent exactly figured out what the reloading process is, so I dont know how to compare apples to apples yet..

thanks

brian
thatguy

Postby wildcatter » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:38 am

thatguy wrote:
wildcatter wrote:This is a good place to start, if you don't want to get into allot of money. It's cheap, but in no way junk. The next best is the starter kit from RCBS, now that's what some may call Front-Line-Goodies, but as I said the Lee Anniversary kit is good stuff and a great starter kit, then get a set of Hornady Dies and you're in business..

I was wondering about the lee anniversary unit.. I have seen it online for under $100 and was wondering how good it was.. Some of the kits I have seen mentioned here (the rock chucker) are way more expensive.. I havent exactly figured out what the reloading process is, so I dont know how to compare apples to apples yet..

thanks

brian

Brian, reloading is a lifetime endeavor, that is allot like chess, takes minutes to learn and a life time of learning. There is no doubt that the Rock Chucker is front line equipment and I own it, as well as tons of other reloading goodies, but to keep the cost down and do a great job too, you might want to consider the Lee Anniversary line, it contains just about everything in that kit to get you started. To be sure RCBS, also has a great kit too and of course us purest will always recommend it and there's Dillon and others, all fine to really great. After you get totally hooked you will know how to proceed from there, and your now used cheapie goodies will remain on the bench for dedicated operations, because you just can't have too much loading equipment and it will always serve you well. In the mean time here is a multi part video to get you started. I did not see the whole thing but it seems pretty good. A further YouTube.com search using the phrase "How to Reload" or "Reload" or "Reloading" (you get the idea), will yield much of what you are looking for and when a question arises, and they will, why 450Bushmaster.net is all too willing to help, so don't delay, start rolling your own today..wink.. JUST STAY VERY CONSERVATIVE ON THE POWDER, you are just starting out and many here are experts and leave much unsaid, because it is redundant to us, but for you, DO-NOT do anything unless you understand the physiques completely and don't be afraid to question any of our activities and unlike other web boards, there is no one here that will chastise you for basic questions...ya gotta learn..and it is our pleasure to teach, but it might help to the teacher if they knew you were new to reloading, so say so in your post for awhile..And Remember, .."the Responsibility to reload ammunition Safely, rest in your hands and your hands alone"..can I get an AMEN..

Lee Goodies part 1 of 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYS_3VsmOP0&feature=fvw

RCBS Goodies part 1 of 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRCiIpv_6CU

Dillion Goodies part 1 of 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrbv_8kx4

Forster Goodies - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1TyckBGLOc

Just to get you thinking about a good strong bench, here's just but one idea..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkioIICjgB0

AND THEN TWO OF MANY-MANY-MANY RESOURCES - http://www.sinclairintl.com &
- http://www.midwayusa.com/
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby thatguy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:44 am

Thanks Wildcatter (and everyone else) for the information/advice.. Mr Columbus gave me the day off today so I am out to get my muzzleloader sighted in before the rain hits.. BUT then Ill start to digest the links you sent after it gets nasty outside

Just a side question.. Im shooting the Hornady 250gr .452 XTP in my muzzleloader - Has anyone used this when reloading for the 450B??

thanks

Brian
thatguy

Postby gunnut » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:49 am

A big AMEN to that WC!!
When I started reloading I had a lot of basic questions for myself. Like "Did I put powder in that?' :(
Do that a few times and you'll develope a HABIT of check, recheck and verify.
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:53 pm

thatguy wrote:Thanks Wildcatter (and everyone else) for the information/advice.. Mr Columbus gave me the day off today so I am out to get my muzzleloader sighted in before the rain hits.. BUT then Ill start to digest the links you sent after it gets nasty outside

Just a side question.. Im shooting the Hornady 250gr .452 XTP in my muzzleloader - Has anyone used this when reloading for the 450B??

thanks

Brian

Good go 'ol man, and the Hornady 250MZ bullet is the very bullet Hornady puts on the 450b and is incredibly accurate..As far as Powder verification goes, I myself ALWAYS use a shell holder and then ALWAYS strategically place my face over the holder and view all 100rds at the same time looking to see if one has more or less powder than the others, DO THIS, and you'll develop a great Safety habit..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles