Range Report Bartz Mfg 450b Upper 1st Outing

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Range Report Bartz Mfg 450b Upper 1st Outing

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Hoot wrote:In the loads in the bottom picture, are they double crimped, or are the lower crimps just scars in the brass from the last time you loaded them? That top crimp looks really heavy!

Hoot

Edit: never mind the observation about the heavy crimps. I just noticed they're not FMJs and you're crimping down into the driving band groove. :roll:

Scars, Hoot. Your scars. It's your brass that you sent me.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:39 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Hoot wrote:In the loads in the bottom picture, are they double crimped, or are the lower crimps just scars in the brass from the last time you loaded them? That top crimp looks really heavy!

Hoot

Edit: never mind the observation about the heavy crimps. I just noticed they're not FMJs and you're crimping down into the driving band groove. :roll:

Scars, Hoot. Your scars. It's your brass that you sent me.
LOL :D It sucks getting older.

I'm trying to recreate that stab crimp at this moment and what's really surprising is despite a stab yielding a .467 trench, they still pull with just 3 easy by standards, raps to concrete from the inertial puller to 2.16 COL from 2.13. It seems like the MagTechs are relatively hard. The sharpness of the edges on the stab bite get diffused as they translate to an edge on the inside wall and the MagTechs get a gentle sloping indentation, as opposed to a sharp step transition. Not like stab crimping into a driving band groove. Decided to break and think about it before proceeding. What is the distance from the top of the stab to the case mouth with your setup? Looks like around .05

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:48 am

image.jpg
Xtreme closeup
image.jpg (132.83 KiB) Viewed 18352 times

I'm using spacer rings marked #1 and #2 stacked together, just as I did with the FMJs.
Worked out to about 0.053"
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 18353 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (528.47 KiB) Viewed 18353 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Rwood » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:38 pm

So this might be a dumb question but im like a sponge right now reading everything you guys post daily trying to learn everything i can about the rifles, the rounds and the reloading of this caliber, anyways did you notice any difference between the yellow and red tip ftx? also are these rounds .451 or .452 bullets? Sorry if this is a question better for the reloading section but which crimp do you prefer best?
Rwood

Postby Hoot » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Rwood wrote:So this might be a dumb question but im like a sponge right now reading everything you guys post daily trying to learn everything i can about the rifles, the rounds and the reloading of this caliber, anyways did you notice any difference between the yellow and red tip ftx? also are these rounds .451 or .452 bullets? Sorry if this is a question better for the reloading section but which crimp do you prefer best?

They are exactly the same as far as I can determine after dissecting one alongside the other. The only difference is the color they chose for the hard rubber ballistic tip since it was made for a company other than Hornady. Hornady manufactures several different colors depending upon who is going to put their name on them.

If they were different in performance, I would not have bought them.

Don't be bashful about asking questions for things you cant already find documented. BTW, this forum's search engine leave a lot to be desired. Better off using Google to search this forum. If you didn't already know this, preface your search terms with site:450bushmaster.net
That tells Google to only search our forum for the terms. Too many other misleading paths to information you may not be interested in, if you don't specify the site name.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Mort » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Hoot,
Really glad to see you "back in the saddle" so to speak. Your post's are well thought out and executed. They have not only educated me, but have also saved me tons of time, energy and dollars over the years. Your post's directly lead me down the 450 path. Keep up the great work and again thank you! As long as I am on this topic, (sorry about the temporary hijack) a huge thanks goes out to everyone that contributes to this site. The free sharing of time and knowledge, not to mention actual components & parts & such, is what truly separates this site from all the rest.
Again, thanks to all who participate here.

Mort
Mort

Postby blitzwing » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:48 pm

I would love to get my hands on 5, five round mags. The website has changed and I can't find them online right niw.
blitzwing

Location: Pike County, Pennsylvania (subject to change without notice.)

Postby Hoot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:28 pm

blitzwing wrote:I would love to get my hands on 5, five round mags. The website has changed and I can't find them online right niw.

Ask Bartt where to find some in stock from one of his distributors or the factory itself. You can also PM Avenger10 (Bartt) here on the forum.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Avenger10 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:05 am

Blitzwing-

The new site is www.brentonusa.com, our magazines are still very available but have not found a place on the new site yet. We offer two rounders for the Ohio guys, five rounders for the Michigan guys, and full seven rounders for the boyz in Iowa. Give us a call at the shop 517 281 2571 and we will get you in touch with a distributor who can supply you with magazines.

We also have Grendel, 22 Nosler, 223 Wylde and 204 ruger mags.

Hoot- Thanks for the connection.

-B
BRENTON USA | LONG-LOAD
www.brentonusa.com
Avenger10

Postby Hoot » Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 pm

This is an old thread, but life is full of surprises and I just had one with my Bartz upper. As some of you know, I recently shot some all brass bullets through it and tomorrow being another range day, I decided to dry patch the remaining Kroil out and also check the bore with a scope. I had already cleaned it, while it was still warm, at the range after shooting those brass bullets, so I didn't expect to find much more than a little brass buildup, which I did. The brass residue did an outstanding job of illuminating the portion of the rifling that exerts the most rotational force on the bullets, much like copper does to a less brilliant degree.

Not too long ago, I told another member here something I've always wanted to see implemented in a 450b. Namely, Polygonal Rifling, just to see what impact it had upon performance. Well, guess what that bright brass residue revealed, that which I never noticed with a totally clean bore. Sure enough, it has polygonal rifling. Brett never mentioned that to me when we were discussing his company's product. That's pretty cool! Makes my mind wander all over the place regarding how with some bullets, it behaves differently than my original Bushmaster upper, with its conventional rifling.

Its an accepted tenet that the more confidence you have in a rifle's ability, that more it translates to the rifle actually delivering better performance up to a certain point. At least that's the prevailing theory. (see sig) ;)

The small amount of brass buildup is now effaced, thanks to some JB bore cleaner and Mr. Armstrong at the rod. Its back to being hard to notice the polygonal rifling as the rifling details are somewhat muted by the light from the scope reflecting back into the camera and causing the automatic gain control to reduce the sensitivity and contrast. I may just have to slug that barrel to produce a visible example to photograph for you all to see. The Lyman Digital Borescope has image capturing capabilities, but it doesn't do a good job as opposed to viewing the image in real time. At least, I haven't figured out how to enhance it when scoping a really shiny bore.

Just a FWIW for you bore technology fans.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles