450B Lead-Free Loaded Ammo - Available?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450B Lead-Free Loaded Ammo - Available?

Postby 450BARNBURNER » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:39 am

I hear Black Butterfly is coming out with some new stuff in the spring including a load with the Barnes TMZ which is a tipped bullet that should expand at as little as 1000 fps which should help with the long range expansion.
450BARNBURNER

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Gifters wrote:I'm waiting to continue my reloads for when the the temperature drops and I get my suppressor, but thanks for the great bullet comparison. I wonder if the 275's follow a similar trend in expansion at the same velocities.

The 275’s have lower velocity thresholds. The 275 XPB have a minimum of 1400 FPS and the TSX have a minimum of 1200fps. The 200 XPB is rated for 1800fps. They also hold up very well on game when being pushed past normal 450B velocities.
Bmt85

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:31 pm

From what I have observed with the Barnes bullets in general is they start to open pretty fast. I believe that they require hydraulic expansion to initiate expansion, but I’m going to guess that hitting bone will help expansion. Took a deer with the 200 XPB with 43.5gr of Lilgun, shot at about 30 yds. Direct hit on a rib, but entrance was an almost 1” in diameter, perfect circle. Wasn’t perfect shot placement, but good and damage was extensive. Hit rib exiting, and about a 1.5-2” diameter hole. I’m sure if shooting game at 100 yds with that bullet, you might get a delay on opening, but it should still open and punch through any bone.

I’ve used the 275 TSX loaded long and leaning on it for a black bear and a cow elk (cull tag). Both times the bullet fully opens in less than inch and was devastating. Massive damage, punch through bone, and still held together (from what I can tell, never found a bullet). This is my favorite bullet, so far.

I haven’t seen any reason why the Barnes in the 450B shouldn’t open and do it’s job while above the threshold, bone or not. Under that, I would try to aim for bone.

Just my thoughts.
Bmt85

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles