24" bbl length 450

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 24" bbl length 450

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:16 pm

Were you using factory ammo? If so that's awesome! Not a fan of anything longer than 20" on an AR, but glad to see another option could be available in this caliber.
Bmt85

Postby Pig_Popper » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:41 pm

What are your thoughts on a CARBINE length gas system for a 24" barrel ?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/598153622

I asked him for an explanation on reasoning and didn't get a direct answer other than he has sold a couple and decided to stock this item.

Weighs 3lbs and is 1:16 twist ...
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:44 am

Pig_Popper wrote:What are your thoughts on a CARBINE length gas system for a 24" barrel ?

I asked him for an explanation on reasoning and didn't get a direct answer other than he has sold a couple and decided to stock this item.

Somebody did not do his homework! Plain and simple. It'll work, but not optimally IMHO. I can see the case head swipes already, especially with heavy, slower moving rounds. I'd be happy to be wrong but I don't think I am. The good news is that if it is yours and it doesn't work out, you can block the port and drill a longer one. That having been said, the built in brake yielding what looks like 22" of actual propulsion is a good approach for owners in states that do not allow a threaded muzzle. It however does not allow for disabling it when hunting without hearing protection like a threaded one would.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:48 am

hoot, looks like the barrel is a bit smaller ahead of the gas block, so might need a custom gas block if it were to go forward any.

guess I should've read the description, would have to turn barrel down for a .750 gas block.
Al in Mi

Postby Pig_Popper » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:12 am

Hoot wrote:
Pig_Popper wrote:What are your thoughts on a CARBINE length gas system for a 24" barrel ?

Somebody did not do his homework! Plain and simple. It'll work, but not optimally IMHO. I can see the case head swipes already, especially with heavy, slower moving rounds. I'd be happy to be wrong but I don't think I am. The good news is that if it is yours and it doesn't work out, you can block the port and drill a longer one. That having been said, the built in brake yielding what looks like 22" of actual propulsion is a good approach for owners in states that do not allow a threaded muzzle. It however does not allow for disabling it when hunting without hearing protection like a threaded one would.

Hoot

Hoot , good points !

I once had a .270 Winchester bolt action that I installed a JP recoil reducing brake on so that the rifle wouldn't move when shooting it. ONE time I forgot to put in my earplugs and when I say pain I mean extreme pain in the eardrums for days. Since that project and experience I have been running from recoil reducing brakes for years - I now opt for linear compensators on all guns.

With that said I dabbled with 458 Socom last year, it came with a factory recoil reduction brake and whilst waiting for my custom linear comp to arrive I decided to sight in the night vision scope (digital technology). I ran 10 - 20 rounds through the rifle with no issues. The linear compensator arrived the day before my hunt and I spun it on with every intention of shooting it in before the hunt, well.... Murphy rode along with me out to the lease and upon arrival there was a bruiser of a boar in the hay ring, it was a 40 yard shot so I turned on the night vision scope and placed the reticle on his neck and squeezed carefully.

Boom ---> Scope cuts off (recoil harm) ---> boar runs off (miss) = what the heck just happened.

Apparently that project taught me that linear comps designed for sound mitigation and no recoil mitigation can have a real impact on felt recoil at the optics level meaning they aren't optimal for night vision equipment.

I have a feeling I am going to be up against the same problem with 450 bushmaster as the design teams for night vision don't quite rate them for "20 gauge shotgun" recoil...

Oh and the point of impact shifted 4 inches high and right with the new brake which accounted for the miss.

I'm going to pass on the 24" barrel - both from the standpoint of it having a carbine gas system and the undefeatable barrel ports.

Thx
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:05 am

Cole at Deadshot will make you anything you want, look them up and price a barrel out.
Al in Mi

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles