Ross brake vs Tromix?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Ross brake vs Tromix?

Postby awp_101 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:17 am

Before long I should be ordering a Tromix barrel and bolt combo. :mrgreen:

Has anyone compared the Tromix brake to the Ross in regards to recoil reduction and noise? If they are equal I might as well go with the Tromix for the same price while ordering the barrel and bolt. Just one phone call and shipping charge.

If the Ross is that much better though I have no problem going that direction...

Thanks! :mrgreen:
awp_101

Re: Ross brake vs Tromix?

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:41 pm

Given the Tromix is a 4 slot Miculek style design, if the brake bore hole isn't too far above caliber, it should in theory (see sig), provide a little more reduction than a 3 slot. I do like the Holland style with the top ports like Ross makes, a little more, but I have not compared the two. Also, Ross will make a 4 slot with top ports brake if you want, but I don't know if its the same price as his 3 slot. "Time is money."

Perhaps someone has A/B'd the two and will chime in. Experience trumps theory every time. As calibers go, the 450b is not going to benefit nearly as much from a brake like the Overbore calibers do.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby awp_101 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks Hoot! I didn't see anything through a site search but I figured I'd ask in case I just wasn't using the right search string.

Since recoil can be mitigated several different ways, redirecting noise and blast is more important to me. I was hoping the Tromix would be a little easier on the folks at the bench next to me but I didn't really think so looking at those gills. I'll probably go with the Ross just based on the reviews here.

BTW, I use your sig line around the shop where I work. Especially when the trainers or sales people are around... :mrgreen:
awp_101

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:25 am

Been playing with these 4 port brakes on my 500aimm, his beast brake is next on the need to try list, see if eliminating the top holes makes any difference. Nathan is a good guy, prices right, ships fast. If you need a special thread just ask him.

www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com
Al in Mi

Postby awp_101 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:23 am

Thanks Al, I'll check them out.

OTOH I just found the ported Trident barrels... :D
awp_101

Return to AR15 Style Rifles