Sighting in a new scope?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Sighting in a new scope?

Postby Explodingvarmints » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Hey all. Can't find my post from yesterday so I thought I'd try again. Just got a new 20" 450 upper and popped a few shots to test function and recoil. 1st round stovepiped but the the next two operated fine. This is on a PSA lower with a standard collapsible stock. It's a little snappy.
Anyway,
I had a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9 sitting in the safe that I was planning to slap on. Also purchased a Burris PEPR mount. I usually start at 50 yards to get on paper, adjust to get close, and then sight in about 2" high at 100 yards. Is this advisable with this caliber as well? Stock Hornady ammo.
Explodingvarmints

Re: Sighting in a new scope?

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:08 am

Explodingvarmints wrote:Hey all. Can't find my post from yesterday so I thought I'd try again. Just got a new 20" 450 upper and popped a few shots to test function and recoil. 1st round stovepiped but the the next two operated fine. This is on a PSA lower with a standard collapsible stock. It's a little snappy.
Anyway,
I had a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9 sitting in the safe that I was planning to slap on. Also purchased a Burris PEPR mount. I usually start at 50 yards to get on paper, adjust to get close, and then sight in about 2" high at 100 yards. Is this advisable with this caliber as well? Stock Hornady ammo.

...this may be helpful...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14609&p=47347&hilit=point+blank#p47347
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:51 am

yep to what the Kid posted.

I oil the snot out of a new upper for 20 or so rounds during break in, little messy, but works for me.
Al in Mi

Postby Explodingvarmints » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:57 am

Thanks for the link. If the weather holds out tomorrow I'll try to dial it in. Probably going to use the LeadSled.
What recoil pad are you guys using? I'm not apposed to a recoil, but shooting that thing with a t-shirt on wasn't exactly enjoyable. That 4 position stock obviously has no padding.

I read through the muzzle brake threads and didn't see any mention of Magnaport. They are pretty close to me and I was going to drop off my 300 win mag there for a brake install anyway so I thought I'd take the thumper there as well. I do not wear hearing protection while hunting so I'm curious how bad a brake is for the shooter? And if it's worth spending the money or if a good recoil pad is enough.
Explodingvarmints

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:27 pm

the 3 port Ross brake is awesome, my daughter and GF (both petite) handle my 16" with ease. It is a bit louder than the Izzy that's on your 20" thou.
Al in Mi

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:08 pm

I've seen several of these in use...seem to be liked:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044XE6J0/re ... UTF8&psc=1
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Return to AR15 Style Rifles