Factory upper issues-gunsmith needed

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Factory upper issues-gunsmith needed

Postby Kev_lar » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:56 am

So I finally had a chance to shoot my new .450 upper for the first time this weekend. I loaded up a mag with factory Hornandy ammo, chambered a round and *click*. Nothing. I go the eject the round and it won't budge. I put some real oomph into it and the casing goes flying along with a shower of glitter in the air. As I inspect the casing I notice a very light primer strike. When I look at the opened action I see I burnt powder everywhere. As I inspect the chamber I see the slug still in the chamber.

Since I didn't have a rod handy, I disassembled the rifle and took it to Randy's in Bad Axe. The fellas there were able to remove the projectile. The checked it with a set of go/no go gauges and said the action properly went into battery as intended. However on a live round, it got stuck again. They think that the chamber was not reamed properly at the factory.

I called Bushmaster to have it services and they stated they don't do any work on unserialized parts and I should just return it to Midway. Midway won't take it back because I had the handguard replaced and it is no longer in its factory original configuration. Sadly I parted with the mag light flashlight style handguard so swapping them back is no longer an option.

Are there any gunsmiths here on the forum that have a chamber reamer that can check this out to see if it is really the case? At this point I am kinda stuck. I don't really want to drop $150 on a chamber reamer for something I have (1) never done and (2) will only use once.

Thoughts?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (79.33 KiB) Viewed 6465 times
MCOLES Firearms Instructor
NRA Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
NRA Life Member

16" Bushmaster Upper/DPMS Lower
Kev_lar

Re: Factory upper issues-gunsmith needed

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:50 am

try this thunk test.

pull your BCG, clean the chamber/barrel, then drop a factory round in the chamber and listen to hear if it thunks, meaning in bottomed out on it's headspace in the chamber.
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:12 pm

Well sounds like headspace is fine. I would do a thunk test and mic the ammo. Kind of weird you saw burnt powder everywhere with a squib. Could be chamber is fine but ended up with too much freebore, maybe? Just guessing right now.
Bmt85

Postby Avenger10 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:46 am

Kev_lar-

Give us an update the suspense is killing me...

If you haven't made any progress you can send it to us and we'll give it a goin over for you. We fix other manufactures 450's all the time.

-Bartt
BRENTON USA | LONG-LOAD
www.brentonusa.com
Avenger10

Return to AR15 Style Rifles