Bushmaster uppers question

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Bushmaster uppers question

Postby Z-Rider » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:45 am

Does anyone know the difference in length of the handguards on the carbine vs rifle length uppers? I measured my carbine and it is 6-3/4" for the length of the actual guard itself. Considering switching out to a rifle length guard to cover the gas block if possible.

Also if anyone has info on where I could get the rifle length guard it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Z
Z-Rider

Re: Bushmaster uppers question

Postby plant_one » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:18 am

a rifle length handguard is typically right around 12"

there are extended rifle length handguards that extend to around 15"

you can replace that handguard with many of the aftermarket options on the internet. depending on which handguard you select you may need a different barrel nut because the factory handguard uses a propreitary barrel nut.
plant_one

Postby Z-Rider » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for the assist. I figure my best option was to go with a Bushmaster version as the barrel nuts should be the same. Any idea on best place to procure one?
Z-Rider

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:15 pm

You may also need to install a low profile gas block to get some of the handguards to fit. Also, the gas block that is exposed on the 20" barrel 450 is a "dummy" which (my guess) was put there so you could mount a sight on it. It can be - and has been - taken off for use elsewhere. The real gas block is under the handguard.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Return to AR15 Style Rifles