Buffer Spring

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Buffer Spring

Postby dantheman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:35 am

Hi,

I'm doing some research for a 450 Bushmaster build. I'm interested putting a 20" Bushmaster upper on an A1/A2 lower.

Would I derive any benefits from using an extra power buffer spring with a standard rifle buffer? I've read that many like the extra power springs and heavy buffers in their carbines.

I'd like to get this right the first time if you know what I mean. ;)

Thanks,

Dan
dantheman

Re: Buffer Spring

Postby Chris P Bacon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Hey Dan,

I certainly don't have a way to measure the benefits of using different springs and buffers. Having said that, the builder of this platform Tim LeGendre, has often been quoted by stating (quite simply) "he designed this platform to work ideally with stock buffers and springs". No witches brew required.

So, for "getting it right the first time" you cannot go wrong with STOCK. That dog will hunt! Mines stock, as well as many others here with zero issues.
Perhaps an expert will drop in and enlighten us both.

I know this doesn't address your exact question, but there's no need to stress over those two items.

If you want some to stress over however, how bout a trigger, scope, and scope mount. Personally, those are the items that give me the most confidence while hunting. But my eyes are aging, and I'm spoiled on aftermarket triggers.
Chris P Bacon

Postby plant_one » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:54 pm

i'd just run the standard rifle spring and buffer in your a1/a2 stock setup and go from there. it should be just fine. if after testing you find you need to modify then make changes.

those who choose to add weight to an adjustable stock system are doing so because the carbine buffer thats usually standard in them is several ounces lighter than whats in a standard A1/A2 rifle buffer system - 3oz vs 5.2oz.

both systems share the same wire diameter of the spring, the main difference is the coil count - 44 vs 39 - to make up for the length difference in the tube.

the bushmaster 450 uppers are already free floated, so that modification is already done for you.

as chris said... if you want to make a positive change from a stock AR platform, look first to the trigger. The trigger will be your next big bang for the buck thing.

good luck with your build :)
plant_one

Postby dantheman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:13 am

Chris P Bacon wrote:Hey Dan,

I certainly don't have a way to measure the benefits of using different springs and buffers. Having said that, the builder of this platform Tim LeGendre, has often been quoted by stating (quite simply) "he designed this platform to work ideally with stock buffers and springs". No witches brew required.

So, for "getting it right the first time" you cannot go wrong with STOCK. That dog will hunt! Mines stock, as well as many others here with zero issues.
Perhaps an expert will drop in and enlighten us both.

I know this doesn't address your exact question, but there's no need to stress over those two items.

If you want some to stress over however, how bout a trigger, scope, and scope mount. Personally, those are the items that give me the most confidence while hunting. But my eyes are aging, and I'm spoiled on aftermarket triggers.

I'm going with a Hiperfire Hipertouch EDT 3 for a trigger. I have their 24E on a precision AR I built this spring that I'm very happy with.

I'm not worried about a scope yet but I'm thinking of a Vortex 1.5-4.5x32 Diamondback. I have one on a BLR in 358 Winchester and the field of view is HUGE.

I live in NY so the biggest challenge in this build will be a fixed magazine. My precision AR wears a Star Wars looking Thordsen stock. No evil features like pistol grips, threaded barrel, etc. So that is allowed to have a detachable magazine.

Dan
dantheman

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:08 am

For those of you unfamiliar with Thordsen Stocks, they look like this:

I know I know, but its one of the prices you gotta pay when you live in NY. :|

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby dantheman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:53 am

Hoot wrote:For those of you unfamiliar with Thordsen Stocks, they look like this:

I know I know, but its one of the prices you gotta pay when you live in NY. :|

Hoot

While ugly as sin itself, the Thordsen stock is comfortable to use and places one's hand in a position like a conventional sporting rifle. The problem is it places the hand behind the receiver and it makes it more difficult to reach the mag release and operate the safety .

I installed an AXTS 45 degree ambi safety and an extended mag release to cure the problem.

I like that AXTS safety so much it will go on the fixed mag lower as well, even though I'll have a conventional pistol grip.

Dan
dantheman

Return to AR15 Style Rifles