Let the 450 eat

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Let the 450 eat

Postby Rwood » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:42 pm

can i ask how are you loading those? I did some shooting last season with them and i just couldnt get results i was happy with.
Rwood

Re: Let the 450 eat

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:15 am

Rwood wrote:can i ask how are you loading those? I did some shooting last season with them and i just couldnt get results i was happy with.

I've worked with the TSX's fraternal twin the 275 XPB, over Lil Gun and the Rem 7 1/2 primer, seated to 2.29 COL an a taper crimp down into the driving band groove. I'd tell you where my sweet spot was for powder charge if it wasn't for the fact that I believe Lil Gun has gotten faster since I did those experiments. Suffice it to say, start at 36gr and work up from there in 1gr steps until your 100yd groups tighten up from 2-3 inches down in the 1 inch or better range, or you begin to see pressure signs. The 275 XPB got more accurate as velocity went up in my 20", 1:24 twist barrel until I began to see pressure signs. That's a shame because it would be better if you hit and left that zone before pressure signs began to show. That speaks to the fact that you may be better off using H110, W296 or 300MP. I never got back to testing with those powders, despite having them and a box or two of 275s left to work with. Its on my short list once spring arrives. If you are running a faster twist in your particular rig, definitely leave Lil Gun behind for the other slower powder choices. Deviate from my components and I can't say what will work for you. But then, "Life is for Learning"... ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles