UNIMAG - at least one report of it working for 450b

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

UNIMAG - at least one report of it working for 450b

Postby Pig_Popper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:35 pm

UPDATE 12/6/16: Search of the forum resulted in a previous UniMag thread, apparently the guy who commented on the 1911 page is a member here!

http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14980

Sorry bout that guys - looks like I've duplicated the information, still it seems to be another alternative in the market if you can catch the price just right or maybe a future iteration will be smoother operating...

Original post below:

I am awaiting my barrel / bolt to build the 450b Pigstix

Doing research on magazines, unhand I have two metal AR15 30 round *curved* mags with special red flat followers designed for 458 Socom. They worked fine for 458 and I figure I'll try them since they are onhand....

Also onhand is a 30 Remington AR 10 round mag from Healy Arm, anybody tried those?

And then by happenstance I bumped into a REVIEW for the RZE Unimag http://john1911.com/multi-caliber-ar-mag/ The reviewer is all about the mag for 450b - I wonder how many rounds it will hold and if it will work, kind of an expensive mag.....

If my onhand options don't work well I may try one.
Last edited by Pig_Popper on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Re: UNIMAG - at least one report of it working for 450b

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:19 am

Most AR mags will work fine in the BM450, even without modifying the follower. One caveat is that since the 450 BM is a straight wall cartridge, it doesn't go around curves in magazines very well, if at all. I would stick with a AR 20 round straight mag, and before you spring for special, expensive mags, give a couple of the ordinary kind that you may have on hand a try.

BTW, I just checked the link you provided, and none of the cartridges they picture have straight walls. I would not buy them. If they do work in the 450 BM, I suspect it was only partly loaded with a few rounds.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Pig_Popper » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:27 pm

Hey Jim thanks for the tips

How many 450b rounds are fitting and feeding in the straight 20 round mags ? I'm going to throw out ProMag as an example I've had a few of their 20 round mags in the past.

Another website reviewer, can't find the link at the moment said the UniMag holds 11 rounds of 450b.

Is that max for any style mag to date?
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby plant_one » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Pig_Popper wrote:I'm going to throw out ProMag as an example I've had a few of their 20 round mags in the past.

throwing out promags is probably the best thing you can do with them :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:36 pm

Pig_Popper wrote:Hey Jim thanks for the tips

How many 450b rounds are fitting and feeding in the straight 20 round mags ? I'm going to throw out ProMag as an example I've had a few of their 20 round mags in the past.

Another website reviewer, can't find the link at the moment said the UniMag holds 11 rounds of 450b.

Is that max for any style mag to date?

Sorry to take so long to reply - computer was down.

I can get six in a 20 round straight mag with a 5.56 follower. Maybe one more with a 450 BM follower. This was an AR-Stoner metal mag. I can get 10 into a curved 30 rnd mag, which was a poly Sig Sauer mag. You could put more in, but they wouldn't feed.

One thing to keep in mind is how you are going to use the BM450. I don't consider it a tactical defensive weapon requiring a large capacity mag. Mine is intended for hunting. As long as I don't get into a firefight with a deer, an OEM five round mag does just fine, and in fact some states have magazine limits for hunting.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Return to AR15 Style Rifles