Photo request: extractor issues with new .450BM build

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Photo request: extractor issues with new .450BM build

Postby Muad » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:20 am

TonyRumore wrote:Just some extractor history for you guys.......back in '95 American Firearms was making 50AE uppers and their extractors were re-worked 5.56 units. They shimmed the extractor away from the center of bolt using JB weld. When I began building big bores in '98, I basically did the same thing, but rather than using JB weld, I Tig welded up the 5.56 extractors, set them up in a holding fixture and remachined them one at a time on my Bridgeport using a carbide woodruff keyset cutter. I sold the extractors and other big bore parts to a couple other companies that were assembling 50AE uppers at the time. Eventually the demand was great enough to just scrap the 5.56 extractor rework and we moved on to simply CNC machining them from S7 bar stock, with subsequent heat treating.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Thanks for the information Tony!

Quite interesting. We had thought about welding on the one I have here, however instead we decided to use a shim instead until I figure out what the deal is.
Muad

Re: Photo request: extractor issues with new .450BM build

Postby Muad » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:03 pm

Wanted to post an update. I just got back from the range where I test fired the upper, then zeroed it for hunting (35 yard zero, which seemed to offer the least amount of deviation from POA out to 200 yards from all the comparisons I did using a Ballistic Calculator).

It ran like a top, with zero issues. I had it zeroed in about 5 rounds, then shot three 5-shot groups to confirm the zero. If I did my part, it was one large hole at 35 yards, so it seems the Franklin barrel is shooting well. We will see how it shoots at 100 and 200 yards when I get back out.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to give Franklin a call to see what their thoughts are on my shimmed extractor, but it's holding just fine and I can't see how the shim could move over time. However, I would like to compare this bolt to another at some point to see what is off.

Blessings,
Muad

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles