foward assist / slick side

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

foward assist / slick side

Postby kenn1320 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:15 am

Im looking around at uppers and as a hunter first and foremost, I want the ability to slide one in the chamber quietly. That steered me away from Bartz, a local company with great products. Well I just noticed mega has uppers that appear to have a slot along the ejection port. Does somebody make a bolt with a "handle" so you dont need the rear charge handle? Would this allow you to feed a round in quietly without a forward assist?

http://www.megaarms.com/ar-15/upper-receivers/billet-uppers/sbu-billet-upper-with-ch-slot/

While we are talking about uppers, are they all compatible with the 450b? Is the bolt sizing mil-spec or are do I have to pick and choose the upper based on a certain companies bolt? Sorry if my nomenclature is off, Im new to AR's. My past gun experience has been load it and shoot it, clean and repeat. Never got into ordering individual parts and needing to know their name.
kenn1320

Re: foward assist / slick side

Postby Pig_Popper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:15 pm

This is but one option for the bolt carrier you're seeking

https://eisenacharms.com/collections/ar-products/products/right-side-charge-bolt-carrier

In theory you'd be able to ride the bolt home (into full battery) with more control with the type of carrier but audibly speaking the pigs and deer I've been close to can hear me switch the safety on my gun which is quieter than cambering a round by riding the bolt home.

I own the Mega upper receiver and it is already good to go for big bore rounds, it's a quality piece of work.

The only non-spec bolts that get a lot of play is Harrison Beene's 800 series bolt and some of his other designs otherwise you'll be fine with a standard AR15 carrier and bushmaster bolt.

What barrel are you going with?
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby kenn1320 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:00 pm

Thanks. In MI our deer are on high alert as well, so I guess this is more for me feeling hidden than actually hiding from the deer. :lol:
My build will be slow as I learn what I need and spread out the cost. Im looking at the mega billet ambi lower and their billet upper. Im not at the barrel stage of my selection, but thinking 18-20" length. I dont mind giving up a 100fps, accuracy and easy handling are more important. I saw the video of Randy shooting the benched bolt action ruger American and 16" barrel was inside a 2" square at 300yds. Id be happy with that to say the least. From reading on here, seems AR's are harder to be accurate with, not really understanding that, but Im open minded. I got a parts list from Jim in Houston on here, so really just looking at that and doing a lot of surfing and reading. My brother has the AR 450bm and while its a nice gun, I dont like the forearm, or the stock, and while were at it a better trigger would be nice. Might as well build one was my thought. Im sure with all the options there are 10 ways to skin this cat, so Im open to any suggestions/advice. Not a fan of recoil(hate my 12ga slug gun) but also not a fan of the a2 style stocks either.
kenn1320

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:40 am

ADK has a side charge BCG, comes with a 223 bolt, but most after market 450 barrel makers supply a bolt with their barrels. Mega and Crosshill have a nice side charge upper and Crosshill also makes side charge BCG. Side ports are already big enough.

My buddy just got a 18" barrel from Gryphon last month and I will say that thing shoots factory and my 300gr XTP's reloads lights out @ 100yds.

Nice thing with AR's, the furniture selection is endless for them.
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:43 am

the guys at crosshill are the same folks who were making the LAR Grizzley OPS-4 side chargers.

have one of the OPS4 that i built a 223 upper with and love it.

did require a propriteary bolt release, but with the side charger its all good since there's a nice handle to grab to release it with the bolt handle :)
plant_one

Postby kenn1320 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:46 am

Thanks guys. Whats your opinion on ambi uppers for the side charge, and the ambi lowers? I see theres a reach around to release the action called Bad arm or something like that. Seems an ambi lower would do the same thing but cleaner looking?

I was confused by the H vs S on the mega billet series, this video clears that up. I like the H look, but if I wanted to throw an off the shelf upper on the lower, it appears it would only be a cosmetic issue and a minor one at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P6Iog5OUQY
kenn1320

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:19 am

Somewhere on here is a post with a link to an upper receiver and BCG that has a left side CH not unlike a FAL. I miss my Izzy FAL suddenly. Anyway, that configuration really caught my eye.

One of them is on my "hit the lottery" list. 8-)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:37 am

the BAD lever wont work with most of the side chargers. Their size or configuration wont work allow for the necessary clearance on many or all of the designs on the market - especially for a left side (or ambi) charger. The top of the bolt release mounting block interefer's with the line of movement on the left side bolt handle.

Phase 5 tactical makes one thats cut to the right height, but afaik only the crosshill side charger has the proper cutout to accept it on the left side or ambi charger.

i would contact the mfg of the side charger you'll be purchasing if you plan to use this kind of item with them to ensure functionality.

otherwise i love my battery assist devices, i just need to find a machinist who can do the work to remove the extra material so that i have the proper slotting in the left side for it to function (which has been a real challenge). i've confirmed theres enough there, but cant find anyone who will mill the slot i need :/
plant_one

Postby kenn1320 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:31 pm

Im not interested in this upper/bcg combo, but will post it for others that might stumble upon this thread. The price is crazy good, I just have my mind set on the mega arms stuff.

http://siarsenal.com/product/ar-format-side-charging-receiverbcg-combo/#reviews
kenn1320

Postby plant_one » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:47 am

wow thats a steal for a side charger, especially since it comes complete with the BCG.
plant_one

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles