Guys from Michigan

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Guys from Michigan

Postby winman1550 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Didn't know where to post this so I figured this forum get the most views. With the preponderance of guys I see on here from Michigan I wanted to know if any of you have used the Island Lake shooting range next to Kensington Park? How good was it? Anything??? Last time I went to a range was many years ago at the Family Shooters Corral out I-69 in Eaton Rapids. It had 300yds you could shoot. Was going out west for Mule Deer and the 300yd length was perfect. Was interested in what Island Lake was like.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
winman1550

Re: Guys from Michigan

Postby kenn1320 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:31 pm

Nice range, think your limited to 100yds, but its been awhile since I was there.
kenn1320

Postby plant_one » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:36 pm

ive shot there exactly once.

the RSO's on duty that day were absolute dickweeds. I use that term because its the nicest thing i can put here to express my disdain for that individual that wont likely get me banned from this forum.

i was trying to retrieve a sharpie from my gun case while i was waiting for my lane to open up. the RSO saw my case open and came over screaming that uncased firearms were not allowed off the line.

in the case was an unassembled ar-15 - which mind you never left the case and oh yea, was unassembled (did i mention that) - i just poped the lid to get some stuff, which i tried to explain to him. He promptly threatened to throw me out unless i shut my case immediately.

i complied and then asked him about the group of fella's walking off the sporting clays range with their uncased shotguns slung casually over their shoulders. He was pretty mad about that and asked me if i wanted to shoot or leave (i'm paraphrasing, its been a couple years).

since i had already paid my fee for the day, i shut my trap and waited in line for a bench to open up.

when i asked to address the issue with a manager up at the clubhouse upon leaving, i was told i could e-mail someone, or call and leave a voicemail at the general inbox and someone would get back to me. I know a brush off when i see one.

While i understand range safety rules - there has to be some degree of reasonableness built into any set of rules - needless to say, i've never set foot on that property again.

If i'm going to one of the state owned ranges, i usually go over to pontiac lake next to the oakland county airport. The RSO's over there are pretty nice. It doesnt have nearly the amenities as Island Lake does for shotgunning, but its still a nice 50 and 100 yd range rifle range with a group of pistol lanes as well..

Rose lake is also was also a very pleasant experience when i took some friends who live in that area out for an afternoon of trigger induced fun.
plant_one

Postby kenn1320 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:15 pm

Interesting reading your post, as it reminded me of the attitude I observed over there. They were unhappy with their pay or cut backs, no reason to treat the public like they were. I joined a local club, never went back to Kensington.
kenn1320

Postby dantheman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:21 pm

I qualify yearly at a police academy range so I can carry concealed under the Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act.

I don't think that the Range Officer's are too tough. They are very stringent enforcing the rules and probably throw one retired guy off of the range every couple of days. One can't handle weapons behind the line. They have special tables for that. So taking a handgun out of a case and holstering or visa versa must be done at one of those tables.

They're tough but it's for my own safety so I don't mind. Our Range Officer's from the job were all former Marine's so these guys at the Police Academy don't seem too bad compared to them...lol.

Dan
dantheman

Postby plant_one » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:39 pm

while i can understand strict enforcement for safety reasons, being an ass about it is a whole different situation - especailly when you have people walking around 30-50' away violating the rules you're being abused over, which - technically speaking in my case, i never broke because my gun never left the case, no less was it in a configuration that would allow it to be fired.

i might have been able to club someone with the upper or something, assuming that it actually made it out of the case.

this is what im referring to when i discuss degrees of reasonableness.

had i been walking around nonchalantly with lets say a shotgun over my shoulder, in clear violation of the facilities "no uncased firearms off the line" rule i would have expected someone to get loud with me to correct my error.

please note, as a follow up - that said shotgunners were never even approached as they walked from the clays area to the clubhouse, and i even witnessed one walking from his vehicle to the clubhouse upon entry with an uncased firearm as well.

i suppose a shotgun isnt nearly as deadly as an unassembled ar15 though. :roll: :roll:
plant_one

Postby SGWINK » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:21 pm

Shot there once myself. And YES they were on one guy for handling his weapon behind the line as well and they were correct IMO.

Nothing like state land near Sterling / Standish / West Branch - AKA Sterling Truck Trails.

Exit 195 I-75

Have had State Troopers and DNR stop by while sighting in and never once had any issue. In fact more curious to chat hunting, areas and the weapons they have. Found several places near whats called the PIPELINE that are about mile down from the there north with awesome ridges for back stops and hundreds of yards to shoot...

Hour and 40 minute drive from the Palace of Auburn Hills.. (soon to be demolished) Provides me stress free shooting at my own pace and costs.
SGWINK

Postby SGWINK » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:23 pm

SGWINK wrote:Shot there once myself. And YES they were on one guy for handling his weapon behind the line as well and they were correct IMO.

Nothing like state land near Sterling / Standish / West Branch - AKA Sterling Truck Trails.

Exit 195 I-75

Have had State Troopers and DNR stop by while sighting in and never once had any issue. In fact more curious to chat hunting, areas and the weapons they have. Found several places near whats called the PIPELINE that are about mile down from the there north with awesome ridges for back stops and hundreds of yards to shoot...

Hour and 40 minute drive from the Palace of Auburn Hills.. (soon to be demolished) Provides me stress free shooting at my own pace and costs.

And of course you gotta hit Zender's in Frankenmuth for Chicken.. ehem...
SGWINK

Postby SharpMSC » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:21 am

plant_one wrote:ive shot there exactly once.

the RSO's on duty that day were absolute dickweeds. I use that term because its the nicest thing i can put here to express my disdain for that individual that wont likely get me banned from this forum.

i was trying to retrieve a sharpie from my gun case while i was waiting for my lane to open up. the RSO saw my case open and came over screaming that uncased firearms were not allowed off the line.

in the case was an unassembled ar-15 - which mind you never left the case and oh yea, was unassembled (did i mention that) - i just poped the lid to get some stuff, which i tried to explain to him. He promptly threatened to throw me out unless i shut my case immediately.

i complied and then asked him about the group of fella's walking off the sporting clays range with their uncased shotguns slung casually over their shoulders. He was pretty mad about that and asked me if i wanted to shoot or leave (i'm paraphrasing, its been a couple years).

since i had already paid my fee for the day, i shut my trap and waited in line for a bench to open up.

when i asked to address the issue with a manager up at the clubhouse upon leaving, i was told i could e-mail someone, or call and leave a voicemail at the general inbox and someone would get back to me. I know a brush off when i see one.

While i understand range safety rules - there has to be some degree of reasonableness built into any set of rules - needless to say, i've never set foot on that property again.

If i'm going to one of the state owned ranges, i usually go over to pontiac lake next to the oakland county airport. The RSO's over there are pretty nice. It doesnt have nearly the amenities as Island Lake does for shotgunning, but its still a nice 50 and 100 yd range rifle range with a group of pistol lanes as well..

Rose lake is also was also a very pleasant experience when i took some friends who live in that area out for an afternoon of trigger induced fun.

Sorry to hear about your experience at the range. I just started to manage at Island Lake shooting range about three months ago. We would love to have you come back and have a better experience. As some have stated, and from experience as a range master, the main issue is ROs treat people as if they have no experience with firearms.
SharpMSC

Postby plant_one » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:31 pm

thanks, but i'm good.

like i said, i shoot at pontiac lake these days when i go to public ranges. It also happens to be less than half the distance for me to travel to get there vs driving to Island lake.

and if i want to shoot at a nice full featured facility, i only live just down the street from Multi Lakes and their 200 yd berm. My lease is up this fall, or i'd be plunking down for a membership there now that they've relaxed the new member rules a bit, but i'll probably wait and see what happens at the end of this lease. If i decide to stay in the area a bit longer and not move west, i'll probably join as a member. If i end up moving west, there's some nice facilities out in the howell area and a bit further west that are worthy of exploring.
plant_one

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles