New to 450BM - Been reading for 4 hours on magazines

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New to 450BM - Been reading for 4 hours on magazines

Postby engineer40 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:10 am

Hello all. I'm new to the 450 Bushmaster. I got a 16 inch upper from Midway a couple months ago. So far I have fired only 1 box of factory ammo through it, and so far that first box cycled flawless. Which is nice.

So for a new 450 BM owner like myself, who currently only owns 1 5 round factory magazine, what would you seasoned guys suggest for some extra magazines? I've been reading for hours and seems like I'm going in circles. Many of the posts are older, some are talking about magazines that are no longer available, and there seems to be a lot of frustration.

Most of my 223 magazines are Pmags. But I do have 1 D&H Tactical metal 30 round magazine. Just out of curiosity I loaded 10 rounds of 450 BM into it (with the 223 follower). The feed lips held all of the ammo in the magazine without pushing them out. I hand cycled the rifle using that magazine and they actually all fed and ejected fine. Do you think my first attempt at a higher round count should be to purchase a single load follower and try it with my D&H Tactical magazine I already have?

I don't mind spending more money on magazines if they are known to work consistently.

Thanks!
engineer40

Re: New to 450BM - Been reading for 4 hours on magazines

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:11 am

engineer40 wrote:Hello all. I'm new to the 450 Bushmaster. I got a 16 inch upper from Midway a couple months ago. So far I have fired only 1 box of factory ammo through it, and so far that first box cycled flawless. Which is nice.

So for a new 450 BM owner like myself, who currently only owns 1 5 round factory magazine, what would you seasoned guys suggest for some extra magazines? I've been reading for hours and seems like I'm going in circles. Many of the posts are older, some are talking about magazines that are no longer available, and there seems to be a lot of frustration.

Most of my 223 magazines are Pmags. But I do have 1 D&H Tactical metal 30 round magazine. Just out of curiosity I loaded 10 rounds of 450 BM into it (with the 223 follower). The feed lips held all of the ammo in the magazine without pushing them out. I hand cycled the rifle using that magazine and they actually all fed and ejected fine. Do you think my first attempt at a higher round count should be to purchase a single load follower and try it with my D&H Tactical magazine I already have?

I don't mind spending more money on magazines if they are known to work consistently.

Thanks!

Welcome Aboard Engineer40!

If cost is not a major constraint, the Bartz mags are designed specifically for the 450b, not adapted 5.56 mags and pretested.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Pig_Popper » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Let us know the cost (shipped) on the Bartz mags if you get them.

I pulled down 3 sig 5.56 polymer mags off gunbroker for 59.00 shipped and they feed fine at the moment - I haven't tried more than 7 rounds yet.

Are you trying to do more than 7 rounds ? That seems to be the hardest achievement after finding a reliable option.
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby engineer40 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Hoot wrote:Welcome Aboard Engineer40!

If cost is not a major constraint, the Bartz mags are designed specifically for the 450b, not adapted 5.56 mags and pretested.

Hoot

Thanks!

I always pay attention to cost. However I have tried to troubleshoot magazine issues in the past and have wasted days of my life I'll never get back. So if the difference is $10-$20 per magazine difference, and the higher priced magazine is a good known working product, I'll usually just pay the extra to avoid the potential headaches.

I am also in MI like Bartz seems to be. Thank you.
engineer40

Postby engineer40 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Pig_Popper wrote:Let us know the cost (shipped) on the Bartz mags if you get them.

I pulled down 3 sig 5.56 polymer mags off gunbroker for 59.00 shipped and they feed fine at the moment - I haven't tried more than 7 rounds yet.

Are you trying to do more than 7 rounds ? That seems to be the hardest achievement after finding a reliable option.

Yes I'd like to get to 10+ rounds. It blows my mind that companies the size of Bushmaster and Hornady, wouldn't give the marketplace better magazine options for the 450 BM. Seems like all they need to do is contract whatever company they use to make a magazine exactly like the 5 rounder, but make it twice the length while keeping it straight; no curve like the 223 magazines.

I bought the 450 BM for hunting here in Michigan. However, it sure would be nice if it also had higher cap mags available. I didn't realize this when I purchased the upper.
engineer40

Postby Muad » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:55 pm

engineer40 wrote:Hello all. I'm new to the 450 Bushmaster. I got a 16 inch upper from Midway a couple months ago. So far I have fired only 1 box of factory ammo through it, and so far that first box cycled flawless. Which is nice.

Thanks!

I too read for hours and hours on .450BM mags when I first finished my build. I had the upper done, and ammo; but no magazines.

I contemplated adding the single feed follower into existing mags, then modifying some mags I have, etc.

In the end, I picked up some ACS brand 5 round .450BM mags and they so far have been flawless. Now, I've heard they had some issues with the 10 rounders, but the 5s seem to be running great.

I got mine from Franklin Armory: https://www.franklinarmory.com/collections/magazines/products/5-round-asc-450-bm-magazine

ETA: fixed link and wanted to note that they were $27 + shipping
Muad

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:26 pm

engineer40 wrote:
I bought the 450 BM for hunting here in Michigan. However, it sure would be nice if it also had higher cap mags available. I didn't realize this when I purchased the upper.

I just did a brief search of the Michigan hunting regulations. It seems that there is a limit of nine rounds in the chamber and magazine combined (as near as I can tell). If you can find a 7 round mag that works, I would give up on looking for the extra round.

In that case, many 20 round AR .223 / 5.56 mags will work, even without a follower change out. If you have some laying around, give them a try before you invest a lot in trying to find a 10 round mag for the BM450.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Pretty sure it's 6 total for semi auto rifles, unless they changed it in the last couple years.
Al in Mi

Postby m113103 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:23 pm

In the rule book states 5 in magazine and 1 in chamber for semi-autos. :P :D
m113103

Postby Thom28 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:28 pm

The following is a quote from the 2016 Michigan Hunting Regulation page 18:

"Shotguns and Centerfire Rifles - Shell Capacity It is unlawful to hunt with a semi-automatic shotgun or semi-automatic rifle that can hold more than six shells in the barrel and magazine combined, unless it is a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire. Fully automatic firearms are unlawful. All shotguns used for migratory game birds (including woodcock) must be plugged so the total capacity of the shotgun does not exceed three shells."
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles