Underwood Ammo trying to load 450b

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Underwood Ammo trying to load 450b

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:29 pm

After making multiple suggestions to them about doing so, I found out that Underwood Ammo (they make excellent stuff BTW) is now intending to add the 450b to their loaded ammunition line, which is great news indeed. However, they seem to be stalled by the apparent lack of brass available on the market. (Sound familiar?)

I PM'd WildCatter about this problem today, but if anyone else has dealt with a brass manufacturer, any information or ideas would be appreciated. You'd think that a commercial ammo business could attract some interest with a tens-of-thousands (or larger) brass order, but apparently its a problem for some reason.

Off subject: For those who don't roll your own, Underwood Ammo is top quality stuff at totally reasonable prices...you should give them a try!

https://www.underwoodammo.com/
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Re: Underwood Ammo trying to load 450b

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:38 am

maybe Starline will step up to the plate???
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:32 am

Al in Mi wrote:maybe Starline will step up to the plate???

that would be spectacular.

or if hornady would run the stuff more than 2x a year.

ive gotten to the point where i'm just buying factory ammo for the brass. not a ton, but a box here and a box there.

this stuff is harder to find than 204 ruger brass.
plant_one

Postby Yotehunter243 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:45 pm

Please talk them into something besides sst and FTX bullets. I know not alot of choices. I'm lucky my dad loves shooting bit 450 so he is ordering it by the case and I now have several hundred once fired brass. He is 65 and will shoot 100 rounds a day thru that thing.
Yotehunter243

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm sure they won't want to just duplicate someone else's loads...where's the sales attraction in that? I suspect they'll be loading a 200 gr. expanding copper (a la Barnes XPB) and probably Lehigh's 245 gr. brass solid that was developed specifically for the 450b. If their other products are anything to go by, their 450b loadings will probably be right at max SAAMI chamber pressures, too. Should be interesting, IF they can get their hands on some brass.

Starline brass in 450b would be a beautiful thing, if they'll hear our cries from the wilderness. I'm going to contact them about this situation tomorrow to see if they want to move some product to Underwood.

Has anyone used Jamison brass lately? They had, shall we say, quality control problems several years ago, but they're back in a big way again all of a sudden. Haven't heard any negatives about Jamison lately...I think I'll contact them as well, since they seem to have an affinity for interesting calibers...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Return to AR15 Style Rifles