Tough Izzy Brake

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Tough Izzy Brake

Postby dantheman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Are these Izzy Brakes pinned on? I bought a Ross brake and wanted to replace the Izzy.

I'm having a bear of a time getting mine to budge. I tried penetration oil and some heat from a propane torch. I didn't get it red hot mind you, but hot.

If anyone knows a trick I'd sure appreciate it.

Dan
dantheman

Re: Tough Izzy Brake

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:50 pm

mine took some heat but was just screwed on
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Al in Mi wrote:mine took some heat but was just screwed on

My experience also and not a lot of heat either. Ever shoot it out in the rain? Think it might have a little rust. I know its a long shot, just wanted to throw that out there. I heated mine slowly, just beyond touchable with a heat gun, juiced it up with Kroil and let it cool back down to room temp. Heated it back up quickly as possible with a torch to try to keep the actual barrel a step or two behind in temperature and it broke free and came off without any grunting.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby dantheman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Nope, I've only shot 5 rounds to test function. Hasn't been in the outdoors for more than 10 minutes. I'm building a fixed magazine rifle so I can have a pistol grip and muzzle brake. Thank you NYSAFE Act.

Dan
dantheman

Postby dantheman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:47 am

Got that bugger off! I soaked it muzzle down in my penetrating oil mixture over night. I used a long screwdriver and with quite a bit of effort it finally came off.

I used the old Teflon tape trick to time the new Ross brake to 1 o'clock. I don't think it will be going anywhere on it's own. The Ross brake will get the "Redneck" Rustoleum BBQ treatment that Sheepdawg has written about.

Now between today and tomorrow I need to get to my buddies farm and take a few shots. I want to test Hoot's Cheap Carrier Weight System for function and see if the Ross break will mitigate enough recoil so I don't have to recreate a Recoilless Stock that Gunny used to manufacture.

Thanks for all of your help.

Dan
dantheman

Postby Bmt85 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:16 am

What stock are you running?
Bmt85

Postby dantheman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:47 am

It's a Cavalry Arms C1 injection molded stock. Basically it's a commercial version of the old M-16 A1 stock except cheaper all around (not always a good thing)

Dan
dantheman

Postby plant_one » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:07 pm

dantheman wrote:Got that bugger off! I soaked it muzzle down in my penetrating oil mixture over night. I used a long screwdriver and with quite a bit of effort it finally came off.

i wonder if there was rockset on there used to lock it in

the standard removal method for releasing rockset is an overnight soak in water.
plant_one

Postby dantheman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:29 pm

There didn't appear to be anything on the threads. I just think it got torqued by a gorilla so everything timed correctly.

My buddy had an A2 stock that we couldn't get off of a Stag lower. He called the company to see if they used any locktite on the upper screw. The fella on the phone laughed and just said that he knows the guy that had the job of installing the stocks and said he was a very big guy.

We used some penetrating oil on it and got the screw out.

Dan
dantheman

Postby Hoot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:13 pm

dantheman wrote:Got that bugger off! I soaked it muzzle down in my penetrating oil mixture over night. I used a long screwdriver and with quite a bit of effort it finally came off.

I used the old Teflon tape trick to time the new Ross brake to 1 o'clock. I don't think it will be going anywhere on it's own. The Ross brake will get the "Redneck" Rustoleum BBQ treatment that Sheepdawg has written about.

Now between today and tomorrow I need to get to my buddies farm and take a few shots. I want to test Hoot's Cheap Carrier Weight System for function and see if the Ross break will mitigate enough recoil so I don't have to recreate a Recoilless Stock that Gunny used to manufacture.

Thanks for all of your help.

Dan

Perceived Recoil Reduction improvements In this order:

Good Recoil Pad / Cheek Pad
Muzzle Brake
Lighter Loads
Longer Barrel
More weight in stock. (helps balance also)
Shock arresting stock like Gunny used to sell. You can make one yourself. Its not hard.
Everything else...

The CCWS is not for recoil abatement. Its to retard cycling for the sake of the brass.

We wait with bated breath for your results! ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles