Side Charging 450BM

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Side Charging 450BM

Postby godownsacummins » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Okay guys, im new to the whole AR style building. ive always loved the looks of a side charging upper. currently i am building a new rifle and was wondering if anyone has any info on anyone that makes a side charging upper or has any reason not to use one

any info would be greatly appreciated
godownsacummins

Re: Side Charging 450BM

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:54 am

Welcome Aboard!

There is a veritable cornucopia of information here but finding it sometimes can be overwhelming with the built in search function. There is a better search approach using Google. if you premise your Google search with site:450bushmaster.net search term(s) you will be able to tighten up the search. IE "site:450bushmaster.net side charging" will return a lot of threads where they are discussed such as This One. There are reference models cited in that thread along personal experience testimony and vendor links.

I too am charmed by side chargers but have a lot of other project "irons in the fire", so I have yet to find my wallet. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:13 am

there are a host of company's out there who make side chargers.

theres no reason to not put one on an AR - i've got one and i absolutely love it. and on a scoped AR they're the dream scenario, especially if you're hunting or shooting at a time of the year that requires gloves.
plant_one

Postby HoytFlinger » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:51 pm

I have a Matrix Arms non-reciprocating side charger that I will be turning into a 450 BM upper tonight or tomorrow.
HoytFlinger

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:01 pm

I ordered a S&I Arsenal side charger, and just got it yesterday. Figured for $200, I'll play with one. It's pretty nice, and may use it for my 450 build. Couple things I don't like about it, though. It's a little loose in my lowers. Seen a lot worse, but I like a tight fit. Also the barrel channel is a pretty tight fit, but not an interference fit. So I'm going to have to square it up before installing a barrel. Again I've seen a lot worse, but have a preference.

The other side charger I'm looking at is Eisenach Arms.
Bmt85

Return to AR15 Style Rifles