New to forum

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New to forum

Postby mossy89 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:27 pm

The names Justin, I'm from Paducah, KY and I'm new to the forum. I currently don't have a 450 yet but plan to when tax money comes in. I've been looking around at prices and stuff and have read through every topic on the site months before I joined. I plan on buying a stripped lower from bushmaster and building my gun. I've never dealt with the ar platform but I feel it's the thing to do to better understand a lot about the gun. One of my big questions right now is the magpul ubr stock. I read on magpul's site and it states that the stock doesn't come with the needed buffer and spring. I read that I'll need an M4 buffer and spring set which i found on www.cactustactical.com for around $20. Is this what I need to make this work? I'm trying to generate a list of everything I need and getting a final price. Thanks in advance.
mossy89

Re: New to forum

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:57 pm

mossy89 wrote:The names Justin, I'm from Paducah, KY and I'm new to the forum. I currently don't have a 450 yet but plan to when tax money comes in. I've been looking around at prices and stuff and have read through every topic on the site months before I joined. I plan on buying a stripped lower from bushmaster and building my gun. I've never dealt with the ar platform but I feel it's the thing to do to better understand a lot about the gun. One of my big questions right now is the magpul ubr stock. I read on magpul's site and it states that the stock doesn't come with the needed buffer and spring. I read that I'll need an M4 buffer and spring set which i found on http://www.cactustactical.com for around $20. Is this what I need to make this work? I'm trying to generate a list of everything I need and getting a final price. Thanks in advance.

Hey Mossy89, Welcome to the Board. I can't wait to hear your reflections about the 450 Bushmaster, after the tax fairy comes to your house.

By your statement about being new to the AR platform, I really do suggest you go with the weapon as it comes out of the box. Allot of the du-dahs are very specific in mission requirements and if you are not careful, you'll make the weapon not function. After you gain some experience and reflect on the things some of our guys are doing, you'll have a much better base for making a decision, on du-dahs..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:11 am

duplicate post
Last edited by Hoot on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:12 am

Welcome aboard Justin. Don't dawdle on filing your return. Bushmaster had their Tax Time sale in March last year. You want to be able to make your move the minute they go on sale. Sign up for their email notifications or check here as the time approaches. The early bird gets shipped sooner. I and others waited 6 weeks and longer to get ours. I ordered something like 14 hours after the sale began. Some folks who ordered as soon as they were allowed got their uppers sooner. Tom Petty was right. ;)

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby mossy89 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:29 am

Well is building just the lower cheaper and safe? I feel like I could at least do that haha. I plan on putting a different grip and the ubr stock on it. And is the m4 buffer and spring I need to work with the ubr??
mossy89

Postby Siringo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:02 pm

Carbine buffer OK in the UBR stock. However, I strongly recommend a buffer in the 5 oz + range. That is what Bushmaster uses in their full A2 Stocks. Visit "www.heavybuffers.com", they sell a HSS buffer that is touted for the big bores and recommend a Wolf WP spring.
Siringo

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:55 pm

mossy89 wrote:Well is building just the lower cheaper and safe? I feel like I could at least do that haha. I plan on putting a different grip and the ubr stock on it. And is the m4 buffer and spring I need to work with the ubr??

Justin. I am in the process of gathering parts for building my lower.
One thing I am going to point out is that building your own lower
Is a great idea, but be very careful about buying parts. Remember
That a custom lower may cost more than buying a prefab.
BUT
You get to learn more about the AR platform. If you do it right,
You have exactly what you want. You know how to trouble shoot
If you run into issues.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1225
But the coolest thing is you get to say "I custom built this lower".
Don't be afraid to spend a little more. The benefits will be worth it.
As for stocks, IMPO, I am going with a full stock. I have shot my
450 on my XM15 lower with Collapsable stock. I think I would
Prefer a standard M4 stock. Gunnut has some stocks I may be ordering
And you might want to look into those. Also see my thread
A Lower Build Question.
Welcome to the forum. Pull up a stump and enjoy the electronic campfire.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Ghost Dog » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:22 pm

mossy89 welcome, I'm new to this forum myself. I bought the 20 inch upper for a little over $500 and it's sitting on a Spike's pre-built lower.
The gun is fun to shoot, recoil is way less than my .308 A-bolt, and once I got the scope dialed in, I'm totally impressed with it's accuracy and groupings.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby oscar » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:31 pm

welcome justin, i live in ballard co, ky. You will like the 450. I bought the upper from cheaperthandirt and then a complete lower from gander mountain for 225 on sale. Love the gun. Got a trigger job done a shooters supply and it is really good. Shot a bobcat predator huntin, dern near blew it in half. Lots of fun
oscar

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:05 am

Check out these stocks. I'm ordering mine soon.
http://www.arrecoilless.com/products.html
Eventually I will get the recoil reduction
Modules.
Baby Steps.
Also, check out Brownells selection on
Springs and buffers.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles