Help a newbie with barrel selection

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Help a newbie with barrel selection

Postby 64nova » Sat May 27, 2017 7:24 pm

Hey guys I'm new to the site but not new to AR platform. I have a 300 blk upper and am wanting to build a 450 bushmaster upper. I want to build the upper from the ground up. My reasoning isn't to save money but to be able to make it mine exactly the way i want it the first time. So I have been trying to find out whose barrel I am going to buy. Right now I am looking at tromix, obsidian firearms, and franklin armory. I can't find and 450 bushmaster experience with tromix but the .458 socom guys love them so I think that'll be a safe choice. Obsidian has good reviews on their website but can't find any real world information. And franklin has good reviews but people say the rifle gas system can be finicky. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Matt
64nova

Re: Help a newbie with barrel selection

Postby Al in Mi » Sun May 28, 2017 5:52 am

I can attest first hand to Gryphon's 18" barrels being excellent shooters. http://shop.gryphontradingllc.com/450-Bushmaster_c6.htm

Brownells sells a 16" heavy semi bull barrel made by Satern that shoots excellent too. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/ba ... 74657.aspx

Have heard all good on Tromix from the guys here who have them.

Personally, I'd stick with the midlength gas system, Hoot hopefully will chime in with his Franklin experiences with rifle gas.
Al in Mi

Postby MOOSE EARS » Sun May 28, 2017 6:24 am

Brownell's barrel is a 3/4-24 thd which is a little odd when it comes to flash hiders/muzzle devices.
MOOSE EARS

Postby Bmt85 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:11 am

The 450 barrels offered by Brownell's and Obsidian are made by Satern. quite a few people run them, with good results. They all have the not so common muzzle threads, but you do have options for them. Last I checked, Brownell's is a heavy contour, while Obsidian are a little thinner, I wouldn't say medium profile, maybe semi-bull? The ones offered from Saterns website are also the semi-bull profile.

I've heard nothing but great things about Gryphon and Tromix barrels.

As far as 20" Franklins running the rifle length gas system, I will let someone else comment on them. However they seem to be good barrels. I personally would stay on the heavier end of bullet weight if running a rifle length system though. The 11.5" barrels Franklin offers seem to be gtg without any tweaking, though.

Black hole weaponry seems to make great barrels, too. They are the more expensive option, and I believe there is a waiting period, but you can custom order them to what you want. Just throwing it out there.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Sun May 28, 2017 9:24 am

Al in Mi wrote:...snip...
Personally, I'd stick with the midlength gas system, Hoot hopefully will chime in with his Franklin experiences with rifle gas.

Matt;

The Franklin 20" 1:24 barrel I have shoots very accurately. The fit and nitride finish are good as well. However, IMHO, the Rifle length gas port choice was a mistake. Its OK with factory ammo, or reloads using heavier bullets, but I could not get it to run right with lighter bullets until I opened it up. At $199, it is a good value. Since you're building up the parts, you will need a bolt as well. They run $99. If you haven't snagged a bolt carrier, just pay the extra $63 and get the complete 450b BCA for $163. It is polished and also nitrided. Nitride finishes are a breeze to clean as opposed to parkerizing.

Availability can be a problem with their 450b inventory. Right now everything is supposed to be in stock, unlike the Gryphon at Brownells. This caliber seems be experiencing a resurgence in popularity not seen since 2010, so any brand will be touch and go as far as availability. Here today, gone tomorrow. Gone today, here tomorrow. I checked the Franklin web page twice a day for over a month before they had 450b 20" HBAR barrels back in stock. After I got mine, they were sold out in a couple of days. When you decide upon what you want, make sure you have the funds at the ready when you go shopping.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sun May 28, 2017 11:51 am

MOOSE EARS wrote:Brownell's barrel is a 3/4-24 thd which is a little odd when it comes to flash hiders/muzzle devices.

I know Ross will do a 3/4-24, and I think Nathan at Muzzle Brakes and More will do that thread too.
Al in Mi

Postby 64nova » Sun May 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am ready to go so if something is in stock I can pick it up. I think i am going to call Tromix on Tuesday and see if he has barrels in stock. He says if its on his website then he has them. I will but a the bolt/barrel combo and probably a gas block and tube from him while I'm ordering then I can shop around for what receiver and handguard I want to buy. I have a 300 blk ar15 right now so i will just swap the bolt when I change the upper(it only takes a second). I only have 1 lower and will probably only have 1 lower because I live in the peoples republic of maryland. Thanks again for the help and when I get it done I'll post pics and results.
64nova

Postby 64nova » Tue May 30, 2017 8:10 am

Ok I called Tony at Tromix and he had barrels in stock and is gonna ship mine out today. Got some other goodies from primary arms and midway taking advantage of some sales they were having. I need to get ahold of mister Ross and get a brake ordered. Things are coming together.
64nova

Postby 64nova » Wed May 31, 2017 12:26 pm

Alright, Ross is sending me a brake so now the waiting begins. Once things start to pour in and I start assembly and testing I will start a build thread. Thanks for all the help guys...good forum here.
64nova

Return to AR15 Style Rifles