Enhanced Bolt/Barrel Extension

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Enhanced Bolt/Barrel Extension

Postby fester225 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:22 pm

I found the following on-line:

http://www.undergroundtactical.com/prod ... mbled.html

Does anybody know anything about it?
fester225

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:44 am

Says they make in house so that's always a plus for me.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:49 am

Life is short. Pay the extra $20 for the NiB version. They're a lot easier to clean the carbon off of. Ditto on a bolt carrier.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:42 am

Hoot wrote:Life is short. Pay the extra $20 for the NiB version. They're a lot easier to clean the carbon off of. Ditto on a bolt carrier.

Hoot

^^ this. especially if you ever plan to suppress.

and get an ultrasonic cleaner. save you hours of scraping! I do my BCG's in the tank for about 8 mins with the heater on. carbon wipes off with a rag. if I spend a day with the can on*, it may take 2x 8 minute cycles to get the really cruddy stuff inside the bcg, but tis still a lot easier than scraping - even with a B.O.N.E.

*edit - I don't have a can for my 450 yet, I just meant suppressed fire in general thru an AR.
plant_one

Postby fester225 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:56 pm

I'm getting all sorts of useful help here!
fester225

Postby ThatGuy80 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:31 pm

Hello folks,

I may be in the wrong thread but I’m new, so let the hazing fly lol. Recently purchased my Bushmaster AR in 450bm. First big bore AR and not very experienced with ARs in general. Been a lot of learning here to say the least. Not new to gun work though so here goes....

I’m slowly buying tools for this thing and like the idea of a reaction rod/lug lock rather than the traditional clamshell vice block.

Any advice on these or horror stories to consider?

Thanks and excuse my likely misplaced question in advance!

ThatGuy80
ThatGuy80

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:39 pm

ThatGuy80 wrote:Hello folks,

I may be in the wrong thread but I’m new, so let the hazing fly lol. Recently purchased my Bushmaster AR in 450bm. First big bore AR and not very experienced with ARs in general. Been a lot of learning here to say the least. Not new to gun work though so here goes....

I’m slowly buying tools for this thing and like the idea of a reaction rod/lug lock rather than the traditional clamshell vice block.

ThatGuy80

Just thinking about the reaction rod approach and what comes to mind is the fact that it immobilizes the barrel which is indexed to the receiver by a small pin. When torquing a barrel nut, the stress is upon the receiver and not much on the barrel. That's why I went with my Block Worx setup, originally sold on Ebay and later spike's Tactical, as opposed to a conventional clamshell.

It supports both the bottom and the top of the receiver while torquing. The concept has changed hands a couple of times and sadly, the original design (Block Worx) with the dovetailed topside block doesn't appear to be around any more. The closest I've found and its a close match at that, is the set sold under the PlastixRevolution name. If anyone knows where to get the original Block Worx fixture, please chime in.

That's what I recommend for a vise block. It's not cheap but replacing a distorted receiver isn't cheap either. Mine is on track to last a lifetime.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby ThatGuy80 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:38 pm

Great info. I’ll do some digging and see what I can find. Is the block a delrin plastic by chance? Thanks for the reply!
ThatGuy80

Postby s4s4u » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:33 am

ThatGuy80 wrote:Hello folks,

ThatGuy80

There have been reports of the indexing pin being sheared off with reaction rods as they allow the receiver to rotate when torquing the barrel nut. There is a version that also has a tab that rides in the charging handle slot that is supposed to address this situ.
s4s4u

Postby ThatGuy80 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:45 am

Hey Hoot!

After some insomnia induced searching I ended up ordering the kit you referenced from PR. They have several AR15-AR10 blocks and combos. I ended up going with a combo that has the trigger tuning tool, receiver blocks, mag well block, and two “torque plates” that give the system added rigidity in the vise to prevent slipping or twisting in the jaws. They sort of double as a spray shield if you’re using aerosols to clean and are chemical resistant. Really looking forward to putting this to work! Much cheaper than a new receiver if things go south trying to wing it lol.

Thanks for the info Hoot!

ThatGuy80
ThatGuy80

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles