Enhanced Bolt/Barrel Extension

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Enhanced Bolt/Barrel Extension

Postby fester225 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:21 pm

I've found a thread for an Enhanced 450b Bolt, but there is no indication of where to buy one,...and an Enhanced Barrel Extension would be nice too.

Where does one find such things?
fester225

Re: Enhanced Bolt/Barrel Extension

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Welcome aboard Fester!

Its hard to wrap my head around what you mean by "enhanced". Could you link the thread you read about it in, to give us a little more context?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby fester225 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Coming soon...

Postby bps » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:21 pm

Avenger10 wrote:
Our bolts are not recuts like so many are putting out there. Our bolts are purpose built enhanced 450b bolts. We have partnered with one of the top bolt manufacturers in the United States to make some much needed improvements over previous OEM design. Also, our bolts are also NiB coated by an industry leader in NiB coating technology, we can't let it out of the bag who that is yet.

Yes, our barrels and bolts are mil-spec head-spaced and 100% inspected to conformance.

My guru has the idea a standard AR bolt cut to accommodate a .450 Bushmaster weakens the bolt unacceptably. It doesn't look that way to me. However, a .450 BM bolt that was built to be significantly stronger than the original wouldn't bother me.

JP Enterprises (JPRifles.com) is making standard .223 bolts from 9310, and the result is supposed to be an improvement. I was hoping somebody might be doing the same kind of thing for the .450 Bushmaster.

I already have an AR-15 re-done as a .300BlackOut, and am currently working to suppress it. Now that I've discovered the .45BM, I'm thinking that might make a better deer rifle.
fester225

Postby plant_one » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:47 pm

weather or not its better is as loaded of a statement as "enhanced" is.

short of the zombie apocalypse happening - or getting stuck in the princess bride - there's only one degree of dead.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

both calibers - 300 blk and 450 bushmaster are effective deer/game killers - as long as the person behind the trigger does their job anyway. A poor shot from either caliber is going to produce less than desirable results.

the 450 bushmaster allows a bit more room for error - you're lobbing a 50% larger diameter hunk of lead that weigh's 2x as much as roughly the same velocity. so its gonna carry 2x the punch (at least) when metal hits meat.

But you're also dealing with a caliber that carries SIGNIFICANTLY more recoil - making it a less than desirable for someone of a smaller stature to handle, especially in the case of a beginning hunter or even an elderly hunter.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby fester225 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:32 am

Thank you. That is worth considering.

On the other hand, I'm guessing there have been zero problems with over-stressed bolts in .450 Bushmaster. Correct?
fester225

Postby Hoot » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:08 am

fester225 wrote:Thank you. That is worth considering.

On the other hand, I'm guessing there have been zero problems with over-stressed bolts in .450 Bushmaster. Correct?

I've been here since early 2010 and have never read of anyone breaking their bolt from too much "starch" in their loads. That said, we strongly advocate safe loading principles. In this caliber, you tend to run into cycling issues if you lay it on too much. That in itself is a blessing in disguise as it discourages "suicide" loads before they as self fulfilling. :|

Still, its always rewarding to read of someone making a "better mousetrap". Advances in engineering are their own reward.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:03 pm

As far as 9310 bolts, I know Bartz and Gryphon run em. Bartz are NiB coated, and Gryphon are QPQ treated. Bartz only makes uppers, can't purchase just barrel and bolt. Gryphon sells both uppers and parts.

What I would like to see someone come out with are oversized bolt w/ barrel extension. Similar to what they run on 308 based ar15 wildcats, such as 270AR and 45 Vrap. Doesn't really seem needed, but it would still be nice.
Last edited by Bmt85 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmt85

Postby pnw » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:37 pm

Bmt85 wrote:What I would like to see someone come out with are oversized bolt w/ barrel extension. Similar to what they run on 308 based ar15 wildcats, such as 270AR and 455 Vrap.

+1
pnw

Postby Hoot » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:18 pm

Bmt85 wrote:As far as 9310 bolts, I know Bartz and Gryphon run em. Bartz are NiB coated, and Gryphon are QPQ treated. Bartz only makes uppers, can't purchase just barrel and bolt. Gryphon sells both uppers and parts.

What I would like to see someone come out with are oversized bolt w/ barrel extension. Similar to what they run on 308 based ar15 wildcats, such as 270AR and 455 Vrap. Doesn't really seem needed, but it would still be nice.

That was a factor in buying the 30 Remington AR rifle when they were so cheap. While I have plenty of brass, bullets and powder to probably last my reloading lifetime, if I got bored, I could have a smith thread a 450b barrel for the oversize barrel extension and change it to a 450b. In that scenario, I wouldn't hesitate to take it up to the full rated pressure of the 284 Winchester parent case. Not that it needs it. The caliber is already plenty lethal at current speeds. ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:39 pm

Hoot wrote:That was a factor in buying the 30 Remington AR rifle when they were so cheap. While I have plenty of brass, bullets and powder to probably last my reloading lifetime, if I got bored, I could have a smith thread a 450b barrel for the oversize barrel extension and change it to a 450b. In that scenario, I wouldn't hesitate to take it up to the full rated pressure of the 284 Winchester parent case. Not that it needs it. The caliber is already plenty lethal at current speeds. ;)

Hoot

I actually thought about that when I was starting with the 450B. By that time, however, 30 RAR uppers were all basically gone. I might keep an eye out for one, and if I can get it cheap enough, I will probably add that project to the list. :lol:
Bmt85

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles