Adjustable gas on 18" Mid?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Adjustable gas on 18" Mid?

Postby Gtek » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:09 am

I have wandered through the threads and did not stumble upon anything specific, maybe I missed. Just wondering if on my new build an adjustable is worth the application, I think I am going to try anyway just for the experiment having several options in hand. With the understanding of all included variables and the orifice size being the major player thoughts of a slight taming the action and a little less throwing up in its mouth possibility. My 16" carbine gas open block Bushy seems to get coated internally pretty quick but runs perfect and with ejection at 3:30 to 4:00 with factory pills. Having no experience with this specific configuration and unknown of operating window just asking if anyone has been down this path.
Thanks,
Gtek
Gtek

Re: Adjustable gas on 18" Mid?

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Could work, but you may end up having to constantly tweak the gas setting if you change bullet weights, i.e. going from a 200gr to a 300gr. You could try running more weight in the action, as in heavier buffer or Hoot's CCWS, though it will probably increase felt recoil a little.
Bmt85

Postby Buckeye45 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:16 am

I just installed an Odinworks adjustable gas block on my Trident barreled build. It was very harsh on ejection and thought this would help tame it down. Unfortunately haven't had time to shoot it yet but definitely want to give a review once I do. Odinworks makes 2 models. One with click adjustments to make adjust quicker and one with set screw for once you're set and done switching loads. I got the click adjust just for ease. If it works I may get the set screw for my factory Bushmaster upper. Once my supply of factory ammo is done I will basically work for one accurate hunting load for each rifle then set the gas up around that load.i just figure making a gas adjustment is better than changing buffers and weights. I did drop an H3 buffer in my factory Bushmaster upper and it did help. I'm just in the stage of playing to get 2 different rifles set up for deer.
Buckeye45

Postby Buckeye45 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:31 pm

Had a chance to dial in my rifle with the Odin adjustable gas block and am very happy. Once I uncovered the gas port after I wasted a bunch of ammo. Took the harsh out and tamed the recoil some. Best part is the brass is now in the same zip code and looks very good. No dents or bad claw marks.
Buckeye45

Postby Gtek » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:04 pm

I have everything in the pile now including mounts and glass. All that is left is opening ejection port and put upper together, lower is done. Looking forward to playing with new toy and hopefully get it out on marsh this year.
Gtek

Return to AR15 Style Rifles