Changing Recievers

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Changing Recievers

Postby winman1550 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:10 am

Thinking of going with a side charge receiver for my 450. Cost wise and quality wise, what is the best and what is the best bolt to go with also? I know the Best doesn't have to be the most expensive. I'm most concerned with reliability and holding up.

Thank you so much,

Greg
winman1550

Re: Changing Recievers

Postby winman1550 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:57 pm

33 views and no comments? This is not the forum I remember LOL! Somebody's got some experience/advice with this!!!

Thanks,

Greg
winman1550

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:22 am

I read it but I'm recovering from hip replacement surgery and more importantly, I have no experience with side charging receivers other than what I've read here already:

sidechargerposts1.png
sidechargerposts1.png (12.7 KiB) Viewed 13914 times

I like the aesthetic look of all side chargers, both left and right sided, but the receivers I own are already paid for and work good enough to bring home the venison. If I had a lot of money burning a hole in my pocket, all my uppers would have them. Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:25 am

Not set up in a 450B, but have a mega with a adk bcg, works slick.

Buddy ryan has a nonreciporcating one in 450B, forget the make (it's a name brand) but works fine.
Al in Mi

Postby Buckeye45 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:45 am

I have a Bear Creek sitting on the bench. Waiting on my Barrel from Deadshot so I can finish. I read a few reviews that said the eject fine as is. It was on sale so I made the jump. I can't comment yet because I haven't shot it.
Buckeye45

Postby plant_one » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:53 pm

i have a side charger on my 223 upper and absolutely love it. however its one of the old LAR Grizzley OPS-4 thats no longer in production.

that said - like hoot - if i had an unlimited budget, all my uppers would be side chargers.

the Bear creek for around $200 complete is a pretty decent deal all the way around. even with adding the cost of a tromix bolt into the build price, you're still within 50-60 of normal upper would cost you to assemble.

might as well take the plunge and go for it!
plant_one

Postby winman1550 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Thank you guys. I appreciate any comments you put out there. I know you guys are more the experts in this than I am. I just like the look and the convenience of the side charge and want to give it a try. It's a pain trying to grab that charging handle under the scope.

Hoot, I hope your hip recovery goes well. From 2010 - 2014 I had three back surgeries so I know all about that rehab stuff. Seem to be doing fine now!!

Thanks again,

Greg
winman1550

Postby Charlie U » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:30 pm

I was thinking of building a side charger and shopped around a bit. Lots of options out there.
The one that appealed to me the most was Eisenach Arms......not the cheapest option by any means.
https://eisenacharms.com/collections/ar-products

I did not end up following up on the idea, so I have not built a side charger as of yet.
Charlie U

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Charlie U wrote:I was thinking of building a side charger and shopped around a bit. Lots of options out there.
The one that appealed to me the most was Eisenach Arms......not the cheapest option by any means.
https://eisenacharms.com/collections/ar-products

I did not end up following up on the idea, so I have not built a side charger as of yet.

A possible testimony to the quality of the Eisenach components is the fact that many are sold out quite frequently on their web site. WRT purchasing options, IMHO, any component that you can get that is available with NiB finish is worth the extra cost in terms of ease of cleaning, compared to hardcoat anodyzing. Remember, DI actions "crap in their own garden." ;)

I had gotten over my desire to get a side charger after the last spate of posts about them earlier this, or last last year. Reading this thread has given me the itch again. Unfortunately, at this time last year, disposable income was flowing much better. Now there is a moratorium on OT since mid-summer and I find myself seeking solace in that which is already bought and paid for. :|

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Charlie U » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:06 pm

LOL Yeah, Hoot, I feel your pain on the disposable income....so many things on the ole want list that will probably stay there.
Charlie U

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles