Buffer and spring

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Buffer and spring

Postby Jmeier1981 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Ive recently got a new 20" .450 upper. Right now its barrowing my 7.62x39 lower until I get a dedicated lower built for it. The barrowed lower its on now has a standard carbine buffer/spring with a fab defense GL Shock buttstock. It shoots amazing and I havent had any kind of feed or ejection issues but it ejecting spent cases in the 1-2:00 area.
So mu question is should I try a heavier spring or buffer for its dedicated lower??? It will be a 6 position carbine buffer tube and will have the same fad defense GL Shock buttstock.
The recoil is very manageable but I figured since Im gonna throw together a dedicated lower for it and it seems to be over gassed that maybe a heavier buffer and spring might straighten out the ejection location and maybe even tame a little more of the recoil.... Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance
Jmeier1981

Re: Buffer and spring

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Jmeier1981 wrote:Ive recently got a new 20" .450 upper. Right now its barrowing my 7.62x39 lower until I get a dedicated lower built for it. The barrowed lower its on now has a standard carbine buffer/spring with a fab defense GL Shock buttstock. It shoots amazing and I havent had any kind of feed or ejection issues but it ejecting spent cases in the 1-2:00 area.
So mu question is should I try a heavier spring or buffer for its dedicated lower??? It will be a 6 position carbine buffer tube and will have the same fad defense GL Shock buttstock.
The recoil is very manageable but I figured since Im gonna throw together a dedicated lower for it and it seems to be over gassed that maybe a heavier buffer and spring might straighten out the ejection location and maybe even tame a little more of the recoil.... Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance

Welcome aboard J

I would not be too concerned with a slightly acute ejection angle, given you're using a recoil absorbing stock. Try it with a non-recoil absorbing stock and see if they eject more to the rear, or butt the stock up against a tree and let one fly to see if the ejection angle moves more rearward. As long as they clear the action and not into the next zip code, that's fine with me, so I'm easy to please. ;) If you're saving your brass to either reload or sell to offset the cost of the ammo, a brass catcher makes life a lot easier on them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:55 pm

you mention making adjustments for a dedicated lower.

in that case, ordering a XH buffer would probably be the ticket.

if you want to mess with your carrier on the shared you could always bug hoot for one of his CCWS slugs :mrgreen:

that worked out quite nicely for me - and i'm now running mine in conjunction with a H2 buffer.
Last edited by Hoot on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link
plant_one

Postby Buckeye45 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:14 am

I'd say get an adjustable gas block. I like the Odinworks with the clicks. This would allow you to run standard lower parts. I've tried the spring and buffer route before and you end up with lots of tried and unused parts.
Buckeye45

Postby Jmeier1981 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 am

Well I went ahead and bought an Armaspec SRS buffer/spring system in their H3 weight I think 5.6oz. Try that first and see what happens
Jmeier1981

Return to AR15 Style Rifles