New to the forum and to the 450bm

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New to the forum and to the 450bm

Postby Forgotten man » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Am seriously considering building a 450BM upper, what would be my advantages and disadvantages of the 450 over the 458 socom and 50 Beowulf
Forgotten man

Re: New to the forum and to the 450bm

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:34 am

Welcome. Well. Finding ammo has been an issue for the other offerings and the price per box is pretty expensive. Plus if you reload, The other cartridges don’t offer as many bullet varieties as the .452-.451 selections. The 450 Bushmaster is a TRUE rifle cartridge and not a pistol based cartridge. The PSI CUP for the 450 Bushmaster is 40,000PSI and the parent cartridge is the 284 Winchester opened up and trimmed to 1.700”. Parts are readily available and the cartridge was engineered to work off of a Mil Spec AR 15 lower. The accuracy and effective range of the 450 Bushmaster has been proven here on this forum to be out to 300 yards if the shooter does their part. (See Trophy Wall).
If you go to those other guys forums asking questions, you’ll very likely get abused by at least one or two hot shots who will respond in a condescending manner and basically insult your intelligence.
We are all very NICE here and want to help everyone get the most out of their Thumper and most of all stay safe.
The disadvantages are you will get addicted to this round. You won’t get to do as much extra walking exercises while trying to track a peetering blood trail because your animals tend to bang flop DRT. Another disadvantage is you may need a bigger freezer.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 am

one of the big advantages of the 450 over the other two - more specifically the 458..... its legal in most of the states that have restricted firearm rules for deer hunting like ohio, southern michigan, indiana, etc.

and the bullets we use have been proven to be effective by the Muzzleloader crowds there for years now firing them in 50 cals w/ sabots. 45 cal SST sabots loaded into inline ML's have been the cornfield deer slayers here in southern michigan for years and years before they changed to the straight walled carbine rules that are currently in place.

as an added bonus - the 450bm is the only one of the three that operates on a SAAMI standard..... and when building a 458 thats a legit concern as IIRC there's at least two chamber specs out there right now. so that alone is going to make a build easier.

dont get me wrong the Beowulf and the socom are nothing to sneeze at and are incredibly effective rounds. but depending on what your plans are for using it for, and where you're located, may well make the decision for you.
plant_one

Postby Forgotten man » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Thank you very much. I’m sold on the 450 BM . I will start research on my options. I’ve got some ideas based on your research on this forum. I just wonder if Windham Weapons ( old Bushmaster ) would be a good upper based on their
history ? I you have anymore input I will welcome it !
Forgotten man

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Forgotten man wrote:Thank you very much. I’m sold on the 450 BM . I will start research on my options. I’ve got some ideas based on your research on this forum. I just wonder if Windham Weapons ( old Bushmaster ) would be a good upper based on their
history ? I you have anymore input I will welcome it !

I would pull the trigger on a Windham any day.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Bmt85 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:45 pm

These guys touched on a lot of the good points.
I was originally going to go 458 Socom, but got back into hunting, just after Southern Michigan opened certain straight wall cartridges. At that point had to go 450B, and I am so glad it worked out that way. The 450B is my favorite AR cartridge. I really only see the 458 Socom as having a couple advantages over the 450B, but to me the 450B is still the better round. Never considered the 50 Beowulf as an option. But that's just me.

Main reason I really like the 450B, is bullet selection. I can load pretty inexpensive plinkers, and get decent to great accuracy. Then I can load hunting ammo with bullets that don't weigh 300+ grains and get more speed. You don't need a 300+ grainer for most game, so take the speed advantage. If you feel the need to run 300+ grain bullets, pick up a couple of sizing dies. Now you can run most bullets the 458 Socom can. Chances are you won't need the .458's, there are quite a few good bullet choices already in .451-.452.

Another reason I like the 450B, is there seems to be something new coming out for it all the time. Lately, there has been quite a bit, so it's still progressing. It really opens your options if you reload for it!
Bmt85

Return to AR15 Style Rifles