mega arms side charge compatible with 450B?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: mega arms side charge compatible with 450B?

Postby 45r » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:42 pm

I built a 450 upper with an aero receiver opened up with a dremel.
Tromix barrel and muzzle brake.
Have shot 1 inch groups with it.
Would use a side charge next time.
Turned out lookin good but took a lot of time
45r

Postby msd4141 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:08 pm

Update on the 450B upper build. All parts came in and I had it assembled Thursday evening. Went to the Sharonville DNR range Friday afternoon. I got it on the paper at 50 yards, then 100 yards was a bit high. made adjustments and put 3 in the bullseye (3/4" group), with one flyer about 1.5 inches up and right. The Mega Arms side charge upper works great for the 450B. I'm sure any of the side charge uppers will have plenty of clearance with the ejection port. The Tromax barrel seems to be a shooter. I would also like to give a thanks to Tony for the quick response on the parts that were ordered. I will definitely purchase from him again.
Now the good news, Friday evening I went hunting with my new (Favorite) deer gun and took a big doe, and a nice 8 point that evening. I have had no cycling issues with this build and it is accurate! Thanks for the input on this thread.

A quick question to Hoot, have you shot a 95 grain V max out of a Grendel yet? I loaded up some Lapua brass with CFE 223 and Hornady 95g V Max. I followed the Hornady 9th edition loads from the smallest charge to the second to highest charge listed for that bullet. I did ten rounds each of the listed loads and will see what kind of shot groups I can get.
msd4141

Postby Hoot » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:31 am

msd4141 wrote:Update on the 450B upper build. All parts came in and I had it assembled Thursday evening. Went to the Sharonville DNR range Friday afternoon. I got it on the paper at 50 yards, then 100 yards was a bit high. made adjustments and put 3 in the bullseye (3/4" group), with one flyer about 1.5 inches up and right. The Mega Arms side charge upper works great for the 450B. I'm sure any of the side charge uppers will have plenty of clearance with the ejection port. The Tromax barrel seems to be a shooter. I would also like to give a thanks to Tony for the quick response on the parts that were ordered. I will definitely purchase from him again.
Now the good news, Friday evening I went hunting with my new (Favorite) deer gun and took a big doe, and a nice 8 point that evening. I have had no cycling issues with this build and it is accurate! Thanks for the input on this thread

A quick question to Hoot, have you shot a 95 grain V max out of a Grendel yet? I loaded up some Lapua brass with CFE 223 and Hornady 95g V Max. I followed the Hornady 9th edition loads from the smallest charge to the second to highest charge listed for that bullet. I did ten rounds each of the listed loads and will see what kind of shot groups I can get.

Congrats on your building going so fast and ultimately culminating in your two deer. We like post mortem shots.

No, I've never shot less than 100gr bullets in my Grendel. My efforts have mostly been >=120gr bullets. I have some Barnes I need to work up, but was laid up the entire fall load testing season and now its not comfortable shooting weather for about 5 months to come. :( Sadly, today is supposed to be unusually warm and light wind, but I'm back to work and used up my vacation for my surgery recovery. I even have impetus for getting it done since I will be going on a hog shoot in mid-February. Most of the other 9 participants say that they do head shots to preserve as much meat as possible. Since the hunt is on a shooting ranch, we will be in blinds over bait. Not really hunting, more like harvesting. The Grendel will be for head shots. The 450b will be the other gun in the stand, in case a trophy sized one comes into the bait. I have several other good candidate caliber uppers, but we're limited to one double rifle case each. I have plenty of time to decide upon my strategy. Remember to post about your Grendel results. We have a handful of Grendel enthusiasts here.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles