LETS TALK TWIST RATES

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

LETS TALK TWIST RATES

Postby Bagel51 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:02 pm

So I've been doing a fair amount of research on this as I plan on building an upper shortly. I even done a twist calculator and it actually suggested 1:32 twist. I know the most common are 1:16 or 1:24, I did find a manufacturer that does 14,16, 18, 20,24,36 twist rates...my question is 1:16 (little more common, more manufactures) or 1:24 twist ok or should I really consider getting a different twist? Im only planning on using factory ammo. No custom loads. So any input would be greatly appreciated.
Bagel51

Re: LETS TALK TWIST RATES

Postby Bmt85 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:42 pm

1:24 is probably the most common, does great with a wide range of bullet weights. While a faster twist (i.e 1:16) isn't necessary, it hasn't seemed to cause a problem. Although, 1:16 may be a bit much for pistol bullets over a stout charge. Just know that increasing twist rate will usually increase pressure for the same load. Factory ammo shouldn't be a problem, though.

For just Factory ammo, I say go 1:24. Seems to do great for just about anything.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:01 pm

Bmt85 wrote:1:24 is probably the most common, does great with a wide range of bullet weights. While a faster twist (i.e 1:16) isn't necessary, it hasn't seemed to cause a problem. Although, 1:16 may be a bit much for pistol bullets over a stout charge. Just know that increasing twist rate will usually increase pressure for the same load. Factory ammo shouldn't be a problem, though.

For just Factory ammo, I say go 1:24. Seems to do great for just about anything.

I agree though I'd bet the 1:16 twist barrels out there were developed using factory ammo as well and found to as you observed, not cause problems. For years, all we had was the 1:24 to experiment with and a lot of different loads were tested beyond factory ammo, both above and below 250gr. My first and last experience with a 1:16 did not go well, so I'm biased. Don't want to talk more about it than I already have. I do know a lot of bolt action enthusiasts are running the 1:16 and doing well by it. There were some 1:32 barrels available for a while from one of the member's company here at one time. Never played with one myself however, so I can't speak from experience. I can only say that the 1:24 has served me well and seems to be very forgiving.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bagel51 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:05 pm

I agree though I'd bet the 1:16 twist barrels out there were developed using factory ammo as well and found to as you observed, not cause problems. For years, all we had was the 1:24 to experiment with and a lot of different loads were tested beyond factory ammo, both above and below 250gr. My first and last experience with a 1:16 did not go well, so I'm biased. Don't want to talk more about it than I already have. I do know a lot of bolt action enthusiasts are running the 1:16 and doing well by it. There were some 1:32 barrels available for a while from one of the member's company here at one time. Never played with one myself however, so I can't speak from experience. I can only say that the 1:24 has served me well and seems to be very forgiving.

Hoot[/quote]

Well I haven’t found the 32 twist yet I did find a 1:36 twist. But I could keep looking. Lol. Thanks for the input. I still welcome any more info or experience with different twist rates. I’d also welcome any barrel company suggestions. I’ve been looking at Deadshot and Mcgowen so far
Bagel51

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:57 am

Agree 24t is the norm, my #1 Ruger has a 10t shoots factory and handloads great.

I'll put a plug in for Gryphons barrels, my buds has just been amazing with everything put thru it.
Al in Mi

Postby sbrGrendel » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:38 am

Bagel51 wrote:I agree though I'd bet the 1:16 twist barrels out there were developed using factory ammo as well and found to as you observed, not cause problems. For years, all we had was the 1:24 to experiment with and a lot of different loads were tested beyond factory ammo, both above and below 250gr. My first and last experience with a 1:16 did not go well, so I'm biased. Don't want to talk more about it than I already have. I do know a lot of bolt action enthusiasts are running the 1:16 and doing well by it. There were some 1:32 barrels available for a while from one of the member's company here at one time. Never played with one myself however, so I can't speak from experience. I can only say that the 1:24 has served me well and seems to be very forgiving.

Hoot

Well I haven’t found the 32 twist yet I did find a 1:36 twist. But I could keep looking. Lol. Thanks for the input. I still welcome any more info or experience with different twist rates. I’d also welcome any barrel company suggestions. I’ve been looking at Deadshot and Mcgowen so far[/quote]

I'm new to the 450 Bushmaster and currently looking to get a barrel. I've looked at deadshot but for some reason I keep on thinking they don't do the machine work and they sell Satern Barrels. I looked at them for a Grendel barrel long ago but I could be so off darn memory when I need it. It up and goes blank. I've looked at achillies barrels too I like what I see but need to talk to them and get a price. I just have a problem buying certain barrel blanks, since you can't dress a pig up lol.

I know faster the twist the better the ability to stabilize bullets that are longer and/or heavier. X-Caliber barrels blanks are on par with Shilen and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of them. Then there is what type of accuracy should we come to expect from a 450B barrel? All of these mfg selling barrels with a faster twist for the 450B have to know that everything is good to go or that's a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

So I'm looking for a barrel best bang for the $$$
sbrGrendel

Postby Hoot » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Do yourself a favor and get the 1:32, 36, 3-whatever twist out of your mind. Don't go slower than 1:24. No point in painting yourself into a corner WRT what bullet lengths you can shoot. 90% of all AR15 based 450b barrels have a 1:24 twist for good reason. Not trying to bully you. If you get a twist in the middle of the spectrum, it will overlap at both ends. If you choose a twist at one end of the spectrum, you cut off half your options.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby TonyRumore » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:16 am

We made about 20 barrels with the 1:32 twist. They didn't sell well, so we dropped them.
I went back and copied an old post I made back on 3/23/15 where I accuracy tested the 1:32 twist barrels with various 45ACP/45LC bullets.

TonyRumore » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:37 pm
Here is a quick accuracy test for 5 shots at 100 yards with the 1:32 twist barrel.
I did not cherry pick the best groups or discount any fliers, shooter screw-ups, wind, or any other excuses. I only fired one five shot group with each load. All loads were with Lil Gun powder and WSR primers.

185gr Nosler HP 1-1/4"
200gr Speer HP 15/16"
230gr Hornady XTP 1.5"
250gr Hornady XTP 1-1/16"
300gr Sierra FP 1-3/4"

Tony Rumore
Tromix
TonyRumore

Return to AR15 Style Rifles