Trouble with upper reciever

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Trouble with upper reciever

Postby gltucker » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:08 pm

So new to the forum but not to 450 BM. I have a 450 Encore. This will be my 2nd AR build from the ground up and my 3rd AR. So here's my build sheet:

- Deadshot 18", HBAR contour, 1:16 twist (I believe), midlength gas system
- Radical arms low profile 15" m-lock handguard
- Sound of madness muzzle break
- Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40
- Undecided on the mount

I feel like I've had horrible luck on upper stripped receivers.

1st receiver I purchased was from Primary Arms. It was a Anderson cut .458 socom ejection port. Or that's at least what I ordered. It wasn't cut. Asked for a refund.

2nd receiver is from Satern, a Black Friday buy. I just got it in my possession and tried to assemble it this morning except the pin holes for dust cover are very undersized. I calipered the hole closest to the threads and it came out to 0.102". The actual dust cover rod is from a mil spec kit and it's 0.123" dia. I called Satern and they said ship it back for sure but also the big bore reciever aren't really made to have dust covers. Real head scratcher because it has the ears and holes. Speaking of that, the hole nearest to the threads isn't center and offset to where I don't even think I could drill it out if I had the courage. I'll knock the threads the way it sits. Any ways, I've asked Satern to install a dust cover or refund my money and off Tromix I go. I'm hoping Satern makes good on this. I've read some bad posts on the web about issues with their Grendel barrels and poor customer service that followed.

Anyone have any experiences or do I just have the worst luck?
gltucker

Re: Trouble with upper reciever

Postby sbrGrendel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:36 am

Bigbores don’t use the dust cover for the most part, they have the holes due to the forging. They come that way for normal AR15 and it would cost a lot of money to come up with a new forging for bigbores that they sell less of I’m sure. So I’m guessing the upper just doesn’t have the holes machined for a rod since it’s a bigbore upper. They will either fix your issue or refund, if it was me I’d refund your money and send you on your way especially if the rest of the holes for the dust cover rod was smaller on my bigbore uppers that have been opened up specifically for a larger cartridges.

Now some uppers will allow you to have a dust cover but I believe you need a special dust cover, not 100% sure. Yes Satern screwed the pooch on the Grendel barrels, with there chambering of them. Then coming up with the Grendel II chamber and saying it’s better than the one designed by Bill A..it went down something like that.
sbrGrendel

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:34 am

welcome aboard.

Get us a field report on that Deadshot barrel when you can. I had talked to Cole a couple years ago on making a 24" barrel with a rifle length gas system, sorta back burnered the project at that time, but I may get the itch again.
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:07 am

I personally would just take a refund from Satern. They are hit or miss on quality. Their 450B barrels seemed to be gtg, but I have heard about quite a few issues concerning their Big Bore uppers. A lot of QC problems there. I tried looking around for a standard forged upper on my last build, A few things I didn't like about the ones available was they either couldn't use a dust cover or had something engraved on them. Ended up using a BCM forged upper and copying what Bushmaster does to their uppers. Another reason I went that route, is I prefer a slight interference fit between the barrel extension and upper. A lot of standard receivers don't have that. So far haven't had any problems, and I still use my dust cover.
Bmt85

Postby gltucker » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:43 pm

That's another head scratcher. I think if I was writing the advertisement I'd make sure I commmunicated. It really can't see the dust cover as a industry norm. They are extremely popular here in MI. Just about everyone I've seen in state FB page has the dust cover. Known the less good to know. Tromix has a dust cover and the Satern reciever will be in their possession on Monday. I doubt they'll take me up on my request and install a dust cover since they don't seem to offer assembled uppers. Likely a refund on that one.
gltucker

Postby plant_one » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:55 pm

dont let a dust cover or lack of one spook ya off from an otherwise good receiver.

unless you plan to roll around and get your firearm awfully dirty - they're not much use on a civilian firearm, especially one being used in hunting scenerio.

even on my uppers where they're present i rarely close them, and whenever possible i prefer a slick-side upper without one there in the first place.

i do find a forward assist helpful for sneaking into your stand in the morning.

you can ride the bolt closed with the charging handle and use the FA to quietly rachet the bolt into battery with a couple soft taps on it. its yards quiter than just slamming the bolt home.

my $0.02 USD
plant_one

Postby TonyRumore » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:55 pm

Our uppers use the standard dust cover and are engraved "450 Bushmaster" on the left hand side.

If you don't want the engraving, that's not a problem. We just don't have those on the website at the moment.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
TonyRumore

Postby gltucker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Awesome thanks Tony. Haven't heard anymore yet though.
gltucker

Postby coyote wacker » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:24 am

Saturn....best to avoid them ....they don't respond to phone calls or emails...if they owe you money you might get it if you walked in the door took me a 16 months to get mine...a certified letter from a lawyer got there attention...

If they were the only company that made barrels I would use a piece of black pipe for a barrel before getting one of there's...
coyote wacker

Postby gltucker » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:19 pm

Well I got my money back from both.
gltucker

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles