Hope I didnt make a poor choice..

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Hope I didnt make a poor choice..

Postby Robert FL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:06 am

Right now my thoughts about this Buffalo 240 JHC bullet are.. it did group well in my 16" barrel, no problems with feeding, it passed thru and blew big holes in the 2 hogs yesterday afternoon. At $25 per 20 its pretty much the same cost as the Hornady 250 black box I have been using.... But...I still want to try a copper bullet. I have had my 450 BM for less than a month so I am still trying to figure out what "factory" ammo works best in the woods for me. I think and I hope we will be seeing a few more ammo choices in the near future
Robert FL

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:47 am

Robert, some options here to look at. Those Maker bullets look interesting.

http://m.bangitammo.com/store
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:41 am

the folks over at maker are some stand up guys.... and make some fantastic bullets to boot.

as an added bonus, they respond to customer feedback well - so if somethings not working right, when they hear about it... they resolve it.

they were working with more than a couple folks over on the 300blk forum with some amazing end results developing subsonic expanding bullets.
plant_one

Postby Robert FL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:45 am

I am going to order some of the Barnes and some of the Maker bullets. I think its awesome that they will sell you a few to try out. Our Lease land owner wants us to take out more hogs so I hope be able to get some results in the next few weeks.
Robert FL

Postby plant_one » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:55 am

the barnes and makers are going to increase the cost for you quite a bit, but the performance will be spot on, and the accuracy should be respectable or better :)

are you a reloader at all?
plant_one

Postby RLWithrow » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:14 am

I see ARX bullets are available in 450 Bushmaster in 158 grain, that would be interesting to see results on deer. I'd bet it would be best for close range shooting though as the B.C. would probably be low. https://www.inceptorammo.com/project/in ... d-hunting/
RLWithrow

Postby Robert FL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:16 am

No reloading equipment, I have always shot factory loads. One of my friends reloads and I have him interested in 450BM..he has a couple of 223 AR 15s that are set up for long distance shooting and a 45-70.
Robert FL

Postby plant_one » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:54 am

this seems to be a fairly simple caliber to reload for, relatively speaking. make sure youre saving your brass, and maybe ask him to show you the ropes.

if you're doing any ammount of high volume shooting, you can really cut your cost per round quite a bit.

there's hardly any trimming to do, the brass being non-military isnt crimped primer pockets (so no swaging or reaming necessary), basically its clean, deprime, resize, refill.

with blem bullets (225 ftx) i've got a plinking load that costs me about $0.38/round.

and on stuff like the barnes or maker loads where you're gonna be paying $2 or more per round, you should be able to save around 70 cents or more per round by loading them yourself. A single stage press can pay for itself REAL fast with those kind of numbers.

http://a.co/0fEW4pU <--- lee reloading kit, $117 right now on sale
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/78730 ... -4-die-set <--- lee 450 bushmaster dies, $35

everything you need to get started except for a tumbler (and you could actually hand clean your brass if needed, with just a green scotch bright pad), and the actual reloading components themselves. If your buddy were to let you use his tumbler to get going, you could have the equipment for making your own 450 ammo for about $150.

1 pound of lil gun is gonna be around $25 (makes ~180-185 rounds) , primers are about $4-$5/100 (or $31-$35/1k ), and bullets themselves will depend on your projectile choice.

just some food for thought.
plant_one

Postby Robert FL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:47 pm

thanks for the links, i'll check it out.
Robert FL

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:55 pm

RLWithrow wrote:I see ARX bullets are available in 450 Bushmaster in 158 grain, that would be interesting to see results on deer. I'd bet it would be best for close range shooting though as the B.C. would probably be low. https://www.inceptorammo.com/project/in ... d-hunting/

I remember the ARX being brought up before, and the consensus was to go with something else.
Bmt85

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles