Buffer systems and accuracy?!?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Buffer systems and accuracy?!?

Postby Jmeier1981 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:40 am

Ok so when I firsr got my 20" bushmaster brand .450 upper I didnt have a dedicated lower set up for it yet.
I put a 1-8× scope on it and pinned it on a lower I originally had a 7.62x39 upper on it and sighted it in... It shot awesome. Just out of a leadsled on the tailgate if my truck I shot a few 3 shot 100yds groups you could cover with a nickel and that was only an 8x scope.

So fast forward to now Ive got a dedicated lower built for the gun, with a 3lbs drop in trigger compared to the standard milspec trigger in the other lower, I used a Armaspec SRS buffer system with the heaviest buffer they had for AR15s and put a Leupold VX-6 2-12× scope on the gun and it doesnt shoot as good now as it did with the other lower with crappier trigger and less scope magnification. The only real difference I can see would maybe be the buffer system... Went from a stock carbine weight buffer and spring to the heavier Armaspec SRS system.
Soo can the buffer system adversely affect accuracy or was I just lucky the first day out or not having a good day this most recent trip out???
Jmeier1981

Re: Buffer systems and accuracy?!?

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:24 am

In theory (see sig), the Stealth Recoil System shouldn't make your rig shoot less accurate. Could have just been different conditions or as you suggest, luck. The multi-stage springs is a neat concept. Did you shoulder fire both setups and notice any difference in the perceived recoil impulse? Members are always interested in changing the perceived recoil.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:37 pm

easy answer, put it back on the original lower you shot it on and test it.

then you'll know for sure if its your lower or not.

it *shouldnt* be, but theres a maybe that it could be
plant_one

Postby Jmeier1981 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:18 am

The only other change I can think of that I forgot to mention is a handguard. I didnt have a vise block/clamp at the time so I had a gunsmith at a local Scheels sporting goods swap it out. Went to a 17.5" freefloat with sling attachments.
But I dont know how that could make the gun go from shooting 1/2" groups to shooting 1 1/4-1 1/2" groups especially since I put a higher quality scope with more magnification on it
Jmeier1981

Postby plant_one » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:50 am

Jmeier1981 wrote:The only other change I can think of that I forgot to mention is a handguard. I didnt have a vise block/clamp at the time so I had a gunsmith at a local Scheels sporting goods swap it out. Went to a 17.5" freefloat with sling attachments.
But I dont know how that could make the gun go from shooting 1/2" groups to shooting 1 1/4-1 1/2" groups especially since I put a higher quality scope with more magnification on it

what style of handguard did you start with? and which model did you end up with?

depending on what had to be changed (if the new handguard had a proprietary barrel nut for example) removing and retorquing the barrel nut could possibly change things.

also - make sure that you can slide a credit card in between your gas block and the ID of the handguard. if the handguard is making contact during recoil with the handguard that could EASILY cause your accuracy to suffer. its a legit concern for free float handguards with (relatively) large gas blocks.

i would also check the handguard for flex too, the gb may have good clearance but if the handguard isnt installed correctly, or flexes too easily your hold may be torquing it into contact with the barrel/gas block too.
plant_one

Postby Buckeye45 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:56 pm

Check your forend that it was installed correctly. I had a supposed top shelf gun shop install an ALG rail on my rifle. Shot like crap when I got home. Tore it down and found they didn't use the supplied shim package and thus could not have torqued the barrel nut properly. Lesson learned. I redid everything myself and accuracy came back. Find someone who has the tolls and have them show you the process so you are satisfied it was done correctly.
Buckeye45

Return to AR15 Style Rifles