BoreSnake

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

BoreSnake

Postby adelmo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:36 am

Anyone use the Hoppes Bore Snake for general 450b cleaning?

I have the .44 - .45 Caliber version for my 45 acp and wanted to avoid a jam up if possible.

Thanks, Alan
adelmo

Re: BoreSnake

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:34 am

adelmo wrote:Anyone use the Hoppes Bore Snake for general 450b cleaning?

I have the .44 - .45 Caliber version for my 45 acp and wanted to avoid a jam up if possible.

Thanks, Alan

I got their .45-70 Snake and it works fine for a quickie. I never considered the .45 one because I assumed the cord would not reach to the end of my 20" barrel w/brake.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Ghost Dog » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:57 am

I was wondering the same thing. The bore snake works fine on my smaller rifles for a quick clean. Thanks Hoot for the .45-70 size, I was thinking
410 shot gun.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby GRIZZLYJOE » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Hello to everyone.This is my first post.What an awesome site.Ive learned so much from all of you since buying a Thumper during last Marchs sale.Thank You to all! I use a Hoppes Bore Snake .458 rifle caliber.Part #24019. Its a little tight but thats what you want.Works great.
GRIZZLYJOE

Postby bushmeister » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:37 pm

I use the .45 one. No problems, and absolutely love it! It has a long enough string for the 20" barrel and a little more.
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Ghost Dog wrote:I was wondering the same thing. The bore snake works fine on my smaller rifles for a quick clean. Thanks Hoot for the .45-70 size, I was thinking
410 shot gun.

That will work also, keeping in mind that it's not a substitute for a real cleaning.

A boresnake saved my day's hunt once. I was jumping black heads across a swamp and I missed one. I went down up to my knees and the only thing to keep me from falling face first was my rifle barrel down into the stuff. I regained my purchase and backtracked out to solid land. In my day pack, I had a bottle of FP10 oil and a boresnake amongst the doodads. I broke the gun down formed a seal with the bottle and the breech, gave 'er a good squeeze and forced out the goo plug. I slavered up the bore snake with some of the remaining FP10 and pulled it through from the breech. A quick check and it looked good as new inside. I put the boresnake back in the ziplock bag and I was back into the hunt. Lucky I did too as all the ruckus I made encouraged a large bodied spike buck to trot out of the cedar island I was trying to work my way out to. I hunkered down until he worked his way to solid ground 75 yards upwind of me and wham, bam, thank ya' ma'am, my deer season was done. That was the only deer I ever took with my FAL. Back at home, I ran the boresnake through a hot wash, hot rinse cycle let it dry over the register and I still tote it with me to this day when I'm using a .30 caliber for hunting. My other caliber snakes have had an easier life.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:14 am

Hoot wrote:
adelmo wrote:Anyone use the Hoppes Bore Snake for general 450b cleaning?

Thanks, Alan

I got their .45-70 Snake and it works fine for a quickie. I never considered the .45 one because I assumed the cord would not reach to the end of my 20" barrel w/brake.

Hoot

I kinda wondered about that too. I have bore snakes for my
22s and my 30 cal stuff. I haven't bought a 45 bore snake
Cuz I didn't think it would be long enough for my 20" BBL.
Guess I better check into one.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby FirstNation » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Yup, what they said, good for a quickie clean after a day in the field, between shots on the target range or an emergency problem in the field, but once I hit home it's a rod and patch for a really good cleaning.
FirstNation

Postby Ghost Dog » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Spare the rod, spoil the bore! Sorry, I coudn't resist. :roll:
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby FirstNation » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:21 pm

Hahaha, perfect!
FirstNation

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles