Accuracy Issues

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:20 am

Al in Mi wrote:
26" barrel and a 180gr Speer over 1680, she clicks along 2600fps+, room for about 3gr more powder in the blown out case. It's on my mod 12 single shot savage at the moment, but plan is to make it a 22-24" once I dedicate a action for it. See how it goes, might end up doing one with a 20" for the kids.

Not trying to drag the original thread too off topic, too long but...

Just read the entire thread over on MSR in one setting. Uff Da!

Where on earth did you find a Savage 357AR barrel? I've seen 358 Win barrels. I'm guessing you had it custom reamed? Why not a 358 Yeti or an off the shelf 358 Win?

If enough interest in a discussion exists, I would suggest a new thread.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby lovetohunt93 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:51 pm

I wanted to give everyone an update after I did a little shooting today,

After upgrading my bean bag rifle rests with a Caldwell Rock Jr. and a Protektor Rear Bag, I decided to fire one five shot group at 100 yards with my 450B.
Having a more stable shooting platform definitely improved my group size, today's 5 shot group measured 1.75". It was only 1 group but was happy to see it improve from last time. Still looking forward to handloading for better accuracy however.

I do have 2 questions regarding reloading for the 450B (or reloading in general):

Are certain bullet shapes/styles easier to handload than others? For example, the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator looks like a phillips head screwdriver on the front, would these be any more difficult to load than a "normal looking" bullet like the Hornady FTX?

Also, if using new brass for the first time, does it still need to be trimmed to length or is it usually good to load?
lovetohunt93

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:14 pm

lovetohunt93 wrote:I wanted to give everyone an update after I did a little shooting today,

After upgrading my bean bag rifle rests with a Caldwell Rock Jr. and a Protektor Rear Bag, I decided to fire one five shot group at 100 yards with my 450B.
Having a more stable shooting platform definitely improved my group size, today's 5 shot group measured 1.75". It was only 1 group but was happy to see it improve from last time. Still looking forward to handloading for better accuracy however.

I do have 2 questions regarding reloading for the 450B (or reloading in general):

Are certain bullet shapes/styles easier to handload than others? For example, the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator looks like a phillips head screwdriver on the front, would these be any more difficult to load than a "normal looking" bullet like the Hornady FTX?

Also, if using new brass for the first time, does it still need to be trimmed to length or is it usually good to load?

New brass doesn’t need to be sized. But you might want to debur the flash holes.
As for your other question, loading may not be a problem. Cycling on the other hand....
that may or may not be a tricky issue. It just depends on the bullet and the mag and the way it all orients when it goes to chamber.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:...snip...
New brass doesn’t need to be sized. But you might want to debur the flash holes...snip...

I do give a light pass with the mouth reamer/chamfer tool even on new brass after having an occasional bullet hang on a sharp mouth years ago. They're not as bad as trimmed mouths get however, hence just a light touch.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles