Accuracy Issues

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby plant_one » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 pm

electronic scales are sensitive to electromagnetic emissions.

older flourscent lights (usually the big fat 1.5" T12) are run by magnetic "tar" ballasts. They're unshielded magnetic coils basically.

Modern flourscent lighting is run by ballasts that employ induction coils instead of magnetic coil technology. their electromagnetic emission threshold is significantly lower than the older style units.

LED is even less likely to produce EM emissions.

so its not just that Flourscnets are generally bad... just that some can cause problems.

Which helps explain the mixed reports you see out on the web regarding lighting (and other devices) in relation to their digital scales.

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/whats ... ic-ballast

HTH
plant_one

Postby lovetohunt93 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:19 am

Hoot wrote:
lovetohunt93 wrote:Half of me wants to get the Redding Turret press while the other half just wants a normal single stage press to save some money. Although Brownells has the Redding Turret on sale and has free shipping on orders over $100 right now :D

What is everyone using to weigh their powder on? I see there is a ton of different options with these with vastly ranging prices.
Also, do you guys use a hand primer or the little primer arms that usually come with the press?

Stop frittering and get the RockChucker deal mentioned 4 posts back, before the offer expires!

Hoot

I did indeed end up ordering that Rock Chucker Supreme from Midway last night. On sale for $138 like you had said, $15 to ship it, minus the rebate of $25 puts my net cost at $128. Seems like a pretty solid deal.
Now I need to order up some dies, powder, powder scale, bullets, cases, etc...

I plan to hand load new brass for now so I wont immediately need a tumbler but will most likely get one down the road. I already have calipers and micrometers so I should be all set there.
lovetohunt93

Postby plant_one » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:36 am

watch for the Frankford Aresenal stainless tumbler to come on sale. I've seen these as low as $120.
http://a.co/5TzOplm

you CANNOT beat the clean provided by wet tumbling with stainless. i havent had to scrape a primer pocket since i got my setup. I just wish this one had been around before i jumped onto the bandwagon - that built in timer and the capacity of this unit are amazing.

two hours of wet tumbling, 10 mins of rinsing, pat the big drops off with a towel and 1.5-2 hrs of dry time and your brass will look like new.

pro tip: ignore their cleaning solution. Dawn dish soap and a bottle of Lemi-Shine (anti spotting dishwasher stuff) from walmart (or wherever) will last you years. for a 5 lb batch of brass i'm using a 0.5cc scoop of lemi-shine. for reference thats about half of a .380 case or a bit under of stuff.

yard sale a dehydrator for el-cheapo brass dryer and you're in business. i picked one of these up for like $5

hth!
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:18 am

plant_one wrote:watch for the Frankford Aresenal stainless tumbler to come on sale. I've seen these as low as $120.
http://a.co/5TzOplm

you CANNOT beat the clean provided by wet tumbling with stainless. i havent had to scrape a primer pocket since i got my setup. I just wish this one had been around before i jumped onto the bandwagon - that built in timer and the capacity of this unit are amazing.

two hours of wet tumbling, 10 mins of rinsing, pat the big drops off with a towel and 1.5-2 hrs of dry time and your brass will look like new.

pro tip: ignore their cleaning solution. Dawn dish soap and a bottle of Lemi-Shine (anti spotting dishwasher stuff) from walmart (or wherever) will last you years. for a 5 lb batch of brass i'm using a 0.5cc scoop of lemi-shine. for reference thats about half of a .380 case or a bit under of stuff.

yard sale a dehydrator for el-cheapo brass dryer and you're in business. i picked one of these up for like $5

hth!

+1 Image

Also, glad you got in on the RockChucker deal! Don't make a special order but include a tin of Imperial Sizing Wax with your next Midway order. I use it on all my rifle resizing. I had 5 cans of Hornady One Shot that a fellow, getting out of reloading, gave to me. I gave them to my brother-in-law. Some like it, some don't.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:09 pm

For a powder scale, I'm running a Gem Pro 250 with extra ferrite choke. Awesome little scale, measures down to .01 grains. Some say they can be pretty sensitive, though I haven't experienced it.

I wet tumble with a Rebel 17 using Dawn soap and Lemi-shine. Most of the time I get away with 2hrs tumbling, roll cases in a towel, and place in front of vent or fan for a few hours. After that I will resize using RCBS lube because it's water based and wet tumble again for 30-45 minutes, and dry again. I haven't needed my cases ready to go right away, so a little extra time cleaning and drying doesn't bother me. The cases sometimes don't come out 100%, usually a very tiny bit of carbon staining inside the case and maybe the primer pocket, but that doesn't affect anything, it's cosmetic. Outside is SHINY!
Bmt85

Postby lovetohunt93 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:32 pm

I will order some of that wax when I order dies and powder most likely.
I think the first 2 die sets I will get will be for the 450B and .357mag (and probably many others down the road :D ) I love shooting my 450 and 357 a lot so I think that would be a good choice.

Another thing I am excited about regarding taking the plunge into reloading is being able to load rounds that typically are not loaded often in factory loads. Like the .357max, I think a .357max would be a blast to own and shoot. Would be a great backup for the 450B in the MI limited firearm zone.
lovetohunt93

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Look up the 357AR. It's a .223 blown out to .357 caliber for the AR. Essentially, a rimless 357 MAX. I'm really thinking about getting a barrel, but have too many projects as is.

EDIT - Forgot to mention, you don't have to neck up .223, unless you want to, because Starline makes straight wall (unformed) .223 brass. So basically just trim brass to length and load, from what I can tell.
Bmt85

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:20 am

here is a starter to the 357AR http://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/357a ... ?&trail=25

I've just did a test run on the full length version in a bolt gun.....................this one is gonna be fun ;)
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:35 am

Al in Mi wrote:here is a starter to the 357AR http://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/357a ... ?&trail=25

I've just did a test run on the full length version in a bolt gun.....................this one is gonna be fun ;)

Forgot about that for a second. Did you build one in a shorter barrel? Probably won't lose much velocity, but still curious.
Bmt85

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:20 am

Bmt85 wrote:
Al in Mi wrote:here is a starter to the 357AR http://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/357a ... ?&trail=25

Forgot about that for a second. Did you build one in a shorter barrel? Probably won't lose much velocity, but still curious.

26" barrel and a 180gr Speer over 1680, she clicks along 2600fps+, room for about 3gr more powder in the blown out case. It's on my mod 12 single shot savage at the moment, but plan is to make it a 22-24" once I dedicate a action for it. See how it goes, might end up doing one with a 20" for the kids.
Al in Mi

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles