Building Up 7 Round Magazines

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Building Up 7 Round Magazines

Postby wild_weasel » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:28 am

Hello,

My Windham Weaponry 450 Bushmaster came with one magazine built up from an OKAY 20 round magazine with a single shot follower added along with a pop rivet I the spine limiting total rounds to 5. The magazine body is interesting in that it looks like it was fabricated on the original tooling from the 60's. I had some Colt 20 round magazines w/black plastic followers, same tooling?, on hand that I added the same single shot follower to, available on EBAY for $9.95 free shipping if you buy x3, and they function perfectly and hold 7 rounds.

Cheers,
W-W

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
wild_weasel

Re: Building Up 7 Round Magazines

Postby plant_one » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:53 am

you will probably need to file a small half moon out of the front of the mag body to ensure reliability in feeding, but you're on the right track. this has been discussed for some time with the ar-stoner stainless mags.

its easier to use the SIG 30 round 5.56 mags for "hi capacity" usage. no modification necessary and have a 9 round capacity. and they're only like $8 - less than what you're paying for your followers to modify the 20round straight body mags.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15691

also FWIW - the photobucket links arent showing without the photobucket hotlink fix for chrome. so many folks wont be able to see your pics.
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:12 am

plant_one wrote:...snip...
also FWIW - the photobucket links arent showing without the photobucket hotlink fix for chrome. so many folks wont be able to see your pics.

Also FWIW, there is a similar add-on for Firefox now. Everyone has their favorite browser. ;)
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:44 am

good to know for those using FF :)
plant_one

Postby wild_weasel » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:23 pm

Hello,

So far this magazine configuration has had no failures to feed my Hornady 250gr GTX or 230gr FMJ reloads in my Windham upper. Not sure about other uppers but the Windham has a seriously recontoured feed ramp.

Cheers,
W-W
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
wild_weasel

Return to AR15 Style Rifles