Windham Weaponry 450 Thumper Pistol

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Windham Weaponry 450 Thumper Pistol

Postby Bwitty72 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Hey guys, newto the 450 and just recieved a Windham Weaponry 450 Thumper "pistol" to play with.

My question is...What kind of Ballistics do you get out of the 9.5" barrel. I wanted to use it for close quarter hog hunting, but kinda curious how far out I can reach with such a short barrel.

Thanks!
Bwitty72

Re: Windham Weaponry 450 Thumper Pistol

Postby Bmt85 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:23 pm

No clue. I have seen a couple with shorter barrel 450B, but only one that I know of that got some velocity readings. However, those were from an 11.5" Franklin Armory barrel, if I remember correctly. I have a feeling the 9.5" is going to be hurt pretty good in the velocity department. If you plan on pig hunting with it, I would suggest using a chronograph to figure out your effective range for each different bullet you plan to run. From there, you could test the bullets on water jugs at different yardages to see how well they perform.

Some suggestions, though. The 225 FTX is designed for the 45 Colt, so they should still be a good performer. The 250FTX might still be a good option, can't remember the minimum velocity needed for them, but they seem to still expand at 150-200yds, if I'm thinking right. The 275 might still give you decent performance because of the very low opening velocity (1200fps). The 200XPB probably won't expand past a few yards from the muzzle if I had to guess.

Or you could try FMJ and solid bullets. Even though they won't expand (the FMJ's might flatten a bit), your still going to be punching a 45 caliber hole through the animals, and penetration shouldn't be a problem. Won't be as effective as an expanding bullet, be with good shot placement, it should still be enough to kill them. You'll most likely be doing some longer tracking.

Like I said, I really have no clue. At this point, your the guinea pig, so do a lot of testing, and let us know what you find.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Mon May 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Suppressor Suppressor Suppressor!

C'mon guys, get the chant going! Load subsonics since you're halfway there already. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby warthog984 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:56 am

Resurrecting a 7 month old post. I just picked up the Windham Weaponry 450 Thumper Pistol upper. I contacted customer service and they gave me a ballistic chart for the 9" barrel using Hornady 250gr FTX factory ammo. They recorded muzzle velocity of 2000 FPS. Seems higher than I expected.

Has anyone suppressed this set-up? If so, are you running adjustable gas blocks or heavy buffers?
warthog984

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:13 am

2000fps with factory ammo seems a bit optimistic to me. It might be possible, but IIRC, that is what some 11.5”-12.5” barrels get, depending on a few things with the barrel. I have a feeling it’s more around 1800-1900fps. I’d like to be proven wrong, because handloads with a 275 TSX can be pushed as fast or faster (again, depending on barrel) than factory Hornady ammo. That would make this pistol a really compact and really effective hunting rig.
Bmt85

Return to AR15 Style Rifles