Best deal on a standard AR lower?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Best deal on a standard AR lower?

Postby papajohn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:37 pm

I have a buddy whose area is being overrun by piggies, big and little. He's got a lot of guns but has decided that a bigger-bore AR-15 style rifle would be best, and he's considering a 450BM upper, as well as a .458 SOCOM. While I'd rather he went with the Bushmaster, it's up to him. But he's going to need a good lower receiver, doesn't have the inclination to build one from scratch, so I'm looking for a deal on a good complete upper, if anyone has seen one recently. He's not a gunsmith but he's pretty mechanically-oriented, and I could probably coerce him into doing a decent trigger job on it. I bought one from Palmetto a few years ago and liked it, I'm inclined to steer him that way. Most of you are more into the build-it-yerseff thing more than I, so.......

What say you gents?
papajohn

Re: Best deal on a standard AR lower?

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:44 am

While I have disassembled and reassembled my share of AR's, my first lower was a Rock River Arms pre-fab with their great 2-stage National Match trigger. I still have and love it, though I've since added a second lower which I built up from an obscure and rare DPMS matte stainless steel lower. Love the extra weight it adds. The RRA lowers are still being sold, either in a telescoping stock or an A2 one.

They're good lowers. The sky's the limit on complete uppers. Lots of them showing up these days.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby fox400 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:56 am

Look into Aero Precision for lowers. I've heard great things about them and have 2 of their complete uppers and have been very pleased with them.

As for triggers...I have Rise Armament RA-140's in all my builds and have been very happy with them. You can catch them on sale for around $100. Its a nice 3.5lb pull single stage trigger. You will need anti-walk pins for them, but if you catch the rite sale, they'll include the pins with the trigger. I originally had polished mil-spec triggers in my builds with light spring kits and after putting the RA-140 in....I'll never go back.

Uppers....there are quite a few these days. Bushmaster, APF, GLFA, and a few others. By brother-in-law picked up a GLFA and it was really reasonably priced and he's been happy with it as far as quality and accuracy.
fox400

Postby Talon_ » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:50 pm

I know you asked for the best deal on an upper, but I just picked up a complete rifle for $575. It’s an American Tactical Incorporated. I only have 100 rounds through it, and it’s running good.
Talon_

Postby Mort » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:14 am

For best deals on complete AR lowers check out Palmetto State Armory. Watch for sales and free shipping. They currently have some "standard" complete lowers on sale for $129.99 shipped. Their Magpul furniture lowers are also excellent values IMHO.
Edit: Just noticed that you already know about Palmetto. Try as I might, I have never been able to build one as inexpensively as I could buy one complete from them. Even given the fact that I always replace the trigger.
Mort

Postby Tunstal » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:53 am

You also mentioned an upper - saw this deal from Bear Creek Arsenal - $329 with bolt carrier group/etc.
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper- ... -p-875-shg

They have other configurations in 16" and 18" - I grabbed the deal on this one:
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper- ... -p-12-mlok

I have not purchased from them before and didn't see them mentioned much on this forum, but I couldn't pass up the deal if it shoots well.
Their website claims the following "BCA's expectations is that our Barrels, 16 inches or longer, will hold a 1.000" MOA at 100 yards with appropriate ammo and shooting techniques."

I'll let you know when I get it and report to the group what it looks like and how it shoots.
Tunstal

Postby Robert FL » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:12 pm

I live close to the Core15 factory. I bought a complete standard lower for $160 plus tax and another with a Hogue stock and grip for ?? Maybe $240??? Don't remember price but both seem good. I did replace the stock trigger groups with a Rise RA-140 and a RA-340 trigger for the Hogue lower.
Robert FL

Postby papajohn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:28 pm

I appreciate the replies, there are a lot of companies making gear that I wasn't aware of, and I forwarded the info to my pal for a look. He's still chewing on it. Knowing what a cheap old fud he is, I bet he's looking pretty hard at that Bear Creek Arsenal stuff! ;)
papajohn

Postby aboxman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:39 am

Talon_ wrote:I know you asked for the best deal on an upper, but I just picked up a complete rifle for $575. It’s an American Tactical Incorporated. I only have 100 rounds through it, and it’s running good.

Do you have the ATI 450 Bushmaster? If so can you post a review. I see complete guns advertised for less than my GLFA upper.

For example: https://www.anacortesgunshop.com/ati-ar15-milsport-16-450bush-10rd-keymod-173982
aboxman

Postby Hoot » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:10 pm

aboxman wrote:...snip...I see complete guns advertised for less than my GLFA upper.

For example: https://www.anacortesgunshop.com/ati-ar15-milsport-16-450bush-10rd-keymod-173982

Boy did I wait a week too long to decide to sell my backup Bushmaster upper! Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to AR15 Style Rifles