New BCA Upper range report!

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New BCA Upper range report!

Postby Pkeen » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi all,i'm new to the forum, but have been following it for a while.Just got this new Bear Creek Arsenal .450 Bm upper, having read all the mixed reviews wasn't sure what to expect out of it.I had a 50Beowulf for a few years and wanted another big bore and the .450 looked promising . Anyway this upper looks very nice, change the follower in a colt 20rd mag.to a modded single and radiused the front to hold 8rds. Took it to the range the other day and sighted it in at 100 yd. with Hornady Black 250gr FTX . It ran flawlessly for the 20rd that i ran through it, and was more accurate than i expected it to be.The 4 rd group to the left is my sight in, then i put the target up and fired three rounds at the target, .900-.452 bullet diameter = .448 group. Needless to say i'm quite happy with it so far. Made a shell deflector (not the best looking) so i wouldn't have to chase cases at the range. Will be making some reloads using the 225gr FTX to try out .
[url][URL=http://s905.photobucket.com/user/50Beowulf/media/IMG_20180827_134223_zpsmgkhyt2o.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s905.photobucket.com/user/50Beowulf/media/IMG_20180823_123748_zpsgxfiwyat.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]. (Edited to remove a double sentance)
Last edited by Pkeen on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pkeen

Re: New BCA Upper range report!

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:54 am

welcome aboard and nice rig there and nice shooting!! Think your one of the first to report on BCA, defiantly accurate they are.

btw, who's grip is that?
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:31 am

Al in Mi wrote:welcome aboard and nice rig there and nice shooting!! Think your one of the first to report on BCA, defiantly accurate they are.

btw, who's grip is that?

Looks like a Command Arms modular grip.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cwlongshot » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:39 am

Looks good to me too!!

I have been on the fence about "needing" a upper in 450. I have a RARR now and LOVE IT!

CW
cwlongshot

Postby Pkeen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:45 am

Thx all,
Its been a while since i bought that grip,but i believe Hoot is correct ,Command Arms! Don't know why my pics were cut off, maby too large?
Pkeen

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:42 am

Pkeen wrote:Thx all,
Its been a while since i bought that grip,but i believe Hoot is correct ,Command Arms! Don't know why my pics were cut off, maby too large?

Part of the image rendering is due to the limitation of the page formatting in the phpBB program and part is dependent upon which browser you use. If you hold down the Ctrl key and roll your mouse thumbwheel toward you it shrinks the formatting, allowing you to view them. A Ctrl 0 (zero) returns it to normal size when you're done, so that you can read the text, which also shrinks. Not sure how it renders on a smart phone. I don't enjoy reading from a screen the size of a pack of smokes.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Pkeen » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:27 am

Thx Hoot,
It shows up fine on my pc but on my android phone it cuts about 1/3 of the pic off. Maby if i reduce the resolution in the future?
Pkeen

Postby plant_one » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:04 am

instead of a shell deflector, get a brass catcher.

caldwell makes a nice one that attaches to the rail under your optic. its mesch bag supported by a wire frame so its light yet doesnt fold over when you get a dozen pieces in it and cause a jam. mine will hold >100 pcs of 223 and no issues other than the gun starts to get side heavy at that point :mrgreen:

http://a.co/d/4rSVTle

extra mounts are available so you can switch it between guns too. HTH

(stock photos)

plant_one

Postby Pkeen » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:57 am

Way to go plant_one, more stuff for me to spend money on,lol. I had't seen any brass catchers that looked any good, but this one looks pretty slick the way it mounts and the zippered bottom,gonna have to order one. Thank you sir!
Pkeen

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Pkeen wrote:Way to go plant_one, more stuff for me to spend money on,lol. I had't seen any brass catchers that looked any good, but this one looks pretty slick the way it mounts and the zippered bottom,gonna have to order one. Thank you sir!

I've been using one of those since they came out. Despite some folk's experience, I have not had any instance of the netting melting. Then again, I don't let them pile up by the pound inside. I've spent more on additional adapters than the catcher cost but its not like they go bad. The only challenge I have is keeping the top of the catcher from running into the windage target turret on my load development scopes. Not a problem with hunting scopes however. I used to use the kind that was retained with a velcro strap around the handguard. It worked fine as well but was bothersome having to take off and put on whenever I cased, uncased or broke my upper and lower open to clean or chase out a stuck round. This new one is easy on/off.

Hoot
Hoot

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles