Satern barrel initial range report

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Satern barrel initial range report

Postby Hopalong » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:40 pm

So, I've always thought the twist rate on the Bushmaster was a bit leisurely. No real good data as my gun shot pretty well, even with some heavier bullets in reloaded ammo. Don't confuse me with the facts, I'll change it anyway. I bought a 1:24 18" Satern barrel. Black finish on stainless, threaded, though I'm not a big fan of muzzle devices. Got a new forend and laminate stock and posted a pic on the forum:

http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15801

Out at the range with another new gun, a Henry in 44 Mag. Not an ideal day, front coming in (which is good, we need some rain and to cool off...) with a pretty good north wind. And I managed to leave a couple of my rest bits at home, so didn't have my best hold either. In theory (see Hoot's sig...) it should be close on paper. New bore, but still concentric with the action, etc. In practice it was dang close, about 3" high and an inch or so right. I only shot four rounds of factory ammo, and decided to quit while I was ahead, got them all in an inch. Needless to say I'm tickled.

Hop
Last edited by Hopalong on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hopalong

Re: Satern barrel

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:29 pm

The Satern barrel is a 1:20 twist, 5r rifling, I believe. Anyway, you should like it, there have been quite a few members on here that ran them, don’t remember anything negative about them. Actually there was, but it’s minor, the muzzle threading is a bit odd. However, there are a few options, so like I said, minor.
Bmt85

Re: Satern barrel initial range report

Postby Hopalong » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Yeah, 1:20 rifling and a real oddball muzzle thread, 3/4x24.

Hop
Hopalong

Re: Satern barrel initial range report

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:01 am

Hopalong wrote:Yeah, 1:20 rifling and a real oddball muzzle thread, 3/4x24.

Hop

Think Brownells use to sell Satern 450 barrels under their own brand, maybe they still do, couple guys here had them with zero complaints. I have one of their 45 Raptor barrels on a Savage and she's very very accurate.

That 3/4 thread isn't a big deal, Ross will thread for them.
Al in Mi

Return to AR15 Style Rifles