Thread protector, linear comp or ?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Thread protector, linear comp or ?

Postby Robert FL » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:22 am

I'm looking to replace my muzzle break with something that will direct blast away from muzzle. Reason is because I am going to hunt with a new friend who has plastic shooting houses on his property.. I once shot my 30-06 with muzzle break out of a shooting house and it rang my bell. Gun is a 16" barreled 450 bushmaster AR15 style rifle. If a $12 SS thread protector works then I'm fine, but maybe I need something like a linear comp? Any ideas? I can see a suppressor in my future, but not now. Thanks!
Robert FL

Re: Thread protector, linear comp or ?

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:31 pm

seen this one http://www.450bushmaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15646

Hopefully he'll chime in, but there was another board member here that just did one, but I can't find the thread on it at the moment.

In a pinch, you can wrap those threads in black tape to get by.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:27 am

Hoot reporting in from Maryland. Make sure you re-zero your POI if you change muzzle devices.

Went from 47 and drizzle to 80’s and sunny. :mrgreen:
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Robert FL » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Thanks Al. I did a search and saw that a few days ago. I may just use a thread protector since it is light weight...but my hearing health makes me want to try the linear comp. I was hoping to hear some real life experiences on this forum. I usually hunt from a treestand or natural ground blind. My 6.5 Grendel also needs something, it's brutal..
Robert FL

Postby Robert FL » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:19 pm

Good, yes I plan on firing a few and see what happens..its been 90 plus here and we had a wet summer.
Robert FL

Postby ScottyPotty » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:51 pm

I didnt want a brake on my rifle because of the extra noise. I have in the past, (when hunting in a blind) I sometimes would keep a set of ear plugs hanging around my neck and if I have time slip them in before the shot.

I'm seriously thinking of getting those ear buds things that lets you hear better, but cuts off when you shoot. Its not like your hearing heals, once its gone its gone for forever.
Last edited by ScottyPotty on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottyPotty

Postby Robert FL » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:47 pm

one of my friends uses a walkers game ear? or something like that.. he says he can hear deer walking way before he can see them. i remember researching the ones with noise canceling and the good ones were not cheap, but I am sure they are worth the price if they preserve hearing.. I guess its time to get off my wallet and call it an investment
Robert FL

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:37 am

few years ago at a gun club shoot, there was a gal there from Cabelas I think, doing ear cast for those types of ear plugs. Filled you ear with a liquid that set up in a couple minutes for a perfect fit ear cast, then they sent them out for the noise cancelling hearing aide part, couple weeks later you'd get them in the mail. Wasn't cheap but the guys that got them really liked them.

99% of my hunting is from the blind anymore, I have ear muffs hanging on both sides so they are always close.
Al in Mi

Postby cwlongshot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:35 pm

I am a huge fan of the Linear Compensators! I have eight of them on various rifles and calibers.

I have been waiting for one in 11/16x24 for my RARR and decided it was too close to hunting season, so I made my own so I could commence with ladders looking for a accurate loading.

I used a KAW valley comp made for the 45 ACP threaded 5.7x28. Completely turned out the threads and re threaded for a direct fit to my barrel.

Shoots and functions perfectly as needed!

This is a aluminum device and intended for lower pressure offerings but I decided to take the risk.

CW
cwlongshot

Postby cwlongshot » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:33 am

My remade LC is holding up perfectly. Have a couple hundred bullets thru it so far and its working GREAT!

CW
cwlongshot

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles