AR-Stoner upper and ammo velocities

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

AR-Stoner upper and ammo velocities

Postby Dave_H » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:13 am

Hey all,

I bought an AR-Stoner .450 Bushmaster upper during Midway's Labor Day sale. $399 seemed reasonable. I also bought one mag, no mags are included. My overall impression is favorable, I thought the barrel finish could match the receiver finish a bit better. But, it is a hunting gun, not a blue & wood classic. The only modification is a Silencerco .46 muzzle brake in anticipation of my can arriving. I had a Leupold 3 x 9 x 40 Mark 2 AR scope excess to my other needs in a Rock River mount and mounted it to the upper. I've switched the upper between a couple of lowers, one with a fixed stock and the other with a collapsible stock.

The muzzle brake does help with the perceived recoil and the fixed stock is much easier on my cheek bone during recoil.

I've run Remington 260 grain, Hornady Custom 250 grain and Winchester 250 grain factory ammo through it. All shoot to about the same point of aim and group about 1.5 inches. I zeroed three inches high at one hundred yards and I could easily hit a 10 inch steel plate at 200 yards. The rifle will not feed Remington ammo. I tried different lowers, different magazines, extra lube and all of the easy fixes I could think of - no luck. Hornady and Winchester run fine so I'll stick with those brands. They have a sharper bullet profile compared to the more rounded Remington profile. I have a case of Remington ammo, I may pull the bullets and replace with Hornadys.

Muzzle velocities from a Caldwell Chrony at about 10 feet:
Winchester: 2313fps, sd 15
Hornady: 2297fps sd 15
Remington: 2107, sd 17

This is a deer rifle so I won't shoot it a lot. But I will finish getting the bugs worked out of it.

Dave
Dave_H

Re: AR-Stoner upper and ammo velocities

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:35 am

welcome and congrats on your new stick ;)

that's the first report on Winchester ammo I've heard. Haven't seen a round first hand, but pics look like a FTX bullet???
Al in Mi

Return to AR15 Style Rifles