New to AR's or 450 Bushmaster ? Learn from my mistakes

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: New to AR's or 450 Bushmaster ? Learn from my mistakes

Postby ScottyPotty » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:33 pm

Buckeye45 wrote:Last year was the first I have ever hunted that much with an AR style rifle. I hunted 5 1/2 out of the first 6 days all using my newly built 450. With that much woods time on my rifle I found several little things that I had wanted to change. The best part is it's all stuff you can do yourself and as time and finances allow. If you have your gun ready then sit back and watch the big game today, GO BUCKEYE, and get ready for Monday. While it can be frustrating it's all part of the fun we deer hunters go thru. Good luck

What little things did you want to change?
ScottyPotty

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:09 am

Damn. Wished you didn’t have to go through all that. I’ve read through most of the comments on your threads though not all, so I may have missed something. For the most part the guys have pretty much touched on “Life with Thumper”. So I will just add this. Delton is a great lower. Due to the 450B recoil, I use a limb saver pad. You should try one. But I’m also using an A1 custom stock made by one of our team members here (GunNut). It’s called the JH Recoilless stock. It takes the 20 recoil and turns it into the recoil of a 7.62x39. I’m using a Mil Spec rifle buffer and a JP Polished rifle length buffer spring.
The reputation of my rifle is pretty well known as it is the AR I used on my You Tube videos to punch steel.
As for the optics issue. Yeah. You’re learning a hard lesson there. And with that Bushnel scope, I’m regretfully afraid that you’re about to learn another one. The cheapest scope on any of my thumpers is around $290 and is a Nikko Stirling 30mm.
There’s also a high end Simmons on one and a Nikon Buckmaster on another. But during pig hunts, I use a Pulsar XP38Trail thermal optic. It’s rated at 6000 Joules of recoil. Which breaks down to a 375 H&H magnum. Of course, They are crazy expensive. But hey. I’m flat crazy. I’m half Texan/Cajun. It’s to be expected. I do my share of dumb Poo too. Don’t feel alone. But you’re on the right track about rings and optics. I use Burris PEPR mounts whenever I can. That’s the way to go on an AR where you may swap out back and forth between normal sights and thermals. There’s a tiny handful of companies that also make rock solid PEPR mounts that you can buy from. Like, Larue here in Texas.
But the weaver crap you find at Walmart will disappoint you. Bushnel on a 450 Bushmaster is just asking for a disaster in the field. Bushnel has screwed me multiple times and I finally learned in 1995 that even the high end Bushnel scopes don’t hold up to recoil. I have a 30-30 that ate five Bushnels. I have missed more deer using a Bushnel than I have even shooting deer with a 12 gauge shotgun using buckshot. (Old school, Old Days, Louisiana pre 1987). Bushnel is Poo in my book. But that’s my personal opinion based on disasters in the field.
I do hope yours holds up. And I will be watching this thread. Welcome to my addiction. And welcome to our electronic campfire.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Buckeye45 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:20 am

I found a grip that was more comfortable wearing gloves, not something I thought of when plinking groundhogs. I found a short throw safety that fit my hand better while wearing gloves. I put a fixed Magpul stock on that just fit me better than a carbine stock. I switched scopes around some of my other guns and went from a 1-4 Leupold to a 2-7 Leupold for better evening hunting. Stuff like that for comfort and better fit.
If you check the used parts section of the equipment exchange at ar15.com you can find some good deals on stuff you may want to try. If you don't like it then sell it. That's where I bought most of my stuff. I realize I have way too much money in this gun but I like it and it suits me well for something I like to do so it was worth it to me.
Buckeye45

Postby plant_one » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:51 pm

ScottyPotty wrote:
Buckeye45 wrote:Last year was the first I have ever hunted that much with an AR style rifle. I hunted 5 1/2 out of the first 6 days all using my newly built 450. With that much woods time on my rifle I found several little things that I had wanted to change. The best part is it's all stuff you can do yourself and as time and finances allow. If you have your gun ready then sit back and watch the big game today, GO BUCKEYE, and get ready for Monday. While it can be frustrating it's all part of the fun we deer hunters go thru. Good luck

What little things did you want to change?

i think everyone goes thru "stuff i want to change" as they own their first AR, or buy a base model.

the fist thing i ever did was put a free float foreend on it. then a timney & a pair of KNS pins. then got a deal on a CTR buttstock to replace the basic $5 milspec special that came with it. then a ergo grip. and a different upper. and another upper. oh look another upper. wow did another upper happen? :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: .

but thats also the beauty of the AR platform.... its *SO* very modular that you can build them to be whatever you want/need them to, but most basic models are good enough to get you behind the trigger to begin with, and are usually capable of hunting out of the box with just the addition of an optic/other sighting system. fine tuning them is just dialing in the personalization :)
plant_one

Postby RedRambler » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:30 pm

Yeah I definitely agree it's a matter of getting things adjusted to how you would like them.

My gun held up just fine in what was some of the roughest weather I've endured on opening day. I hiked it through two soggy plowed fields, a knee deep irrigation ditch then chipped the ice off the scope, just in time to unsuccessfully take 3 shots at a big buck.

I walked off a hundred yards, picked out a big dead tree and check my zero. The gun hit where I aimed so I'm going to say it wasn't the rifle's fault, it was me.

Despite being muddy and frozen over with from freezing rain, the rifle worked reliably so I'm very happy with it overall.

I need to spend some time at the range for sure and get used to using a telescopic sight.

As for changes my biggest thing is I want to get a traditional sling put on it. Also I want to do some tweaking to make it more comfortable to shoot. I specifically want to try different muzzle brake or compensator and a heavier buffer spring.

I just want to say thank you to everyone for your feedback and advice.
RedRambler

Postby RedRambler » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:34 pm

Oh and I got checked by the game warden because he seen my AR and thought I it was carrying a 308. Apparently every AR he's checked was in 308. He was very very surprised that I was completely legal.

I thank him for everything his people do to catch poachers and told him get used to seeing a bunch of Ohio deer legal AR's, because there's two types of gun people out there.

Those who love 450 Bushmaster and those who haven't shot it yet LOL !!!!!
RedRambler

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:51 pm

RedRambler wrote:As for changes my biggest thing is I want to get a traditional sling put on it. Also I want to do some tweaking to make it more comfortable to shoot. I specifically want to try different muzzle brake or compensator and a heavier buffer spring . . .

Try the Mako Shock butt stock. I have one on my 450 and have no problem with recoil.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/mako-gl-shock-ar-15-recoil-reducing-stock-polymer-black-gl-shock-879015003852.do
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby RedRambler » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:
RedRambler wrote:As for changes my biggest thing is I want to get a traditional sling put on it. Also I want to do some tweaking to make it more comfortable to shoot. I specifically want to try different muzzle brake or compensator and a heavier buffer spring . . .

Try the Mako Shock butt stock. I have one on my 450 and have no problem with recoil.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/mako-gl-shock-ar-15-recoil-reducing-stock-polymer-black-gl-shock-879015003852.do

THANKS !!!! That's exactly what I had in mind, but I was not sure such a product existed.
RedRambler

Postby 303hunter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:15 pm

RedRambler wrote:I will elaborate in greater detail later this week. However I wanted to drop you a quick line to say that the Bushnell held together and I have the gun was zeroed. I sighted in at a hundred yards then brought it back to 50 and it was hitting only 4 inches high.

I'm happy because that means between 50 yards and 150 yards I should be able aim at the center of the shoulder on a deer and make a successful shot, these are the most realistic distances I expect to shoot. At 200 yards I should be able to aim at the top of the shoulder and make a successful shot, I'm glad I have that ability because you never know. Maybe I only see one and it's far away or it's a nice buck.

Compare to my father's CVA Scout and the same caliber I find this AR to be particularly brutal as far as recoil, but I can deal with it. As my finances allow hopefully I'll be able to make some improvements to this all rifle to make it more comfortable to shoot.

I will let you know how it performs after deer season here in Ohio which starts on Monday.

Until then I wish all of you a most pleasant Thanksgiving !!!!!

I checked out the Bear Creek uppers and see they come with a flash hider. A good brake will definitely help with the recoil. I went with the Kaw Valley linear on my build, and I’m very happy with it. There’s a very noticeable difference in recoil with the brake removed, and the linear brake helps throw sound down range.
303hunter

Postby Buckeye45 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:59 am

I'm very surprised that Kaw Valley doesn't make a linear comp for standard 450BM threads. That is exactly what I want. A freehand shot last week with the Next Level brake was brutal.
Buckeye45

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles