Remington Ammo Cont.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Remington Ammo Cont.

Postby go2boats » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:07 am

Edit postDelete postReport this postReply with quoteRe: Remington Ammo..Follow Up
by go2boats » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:59 am

Response from Remington.....I sent them an email inquiring about their ammo....Called the phone number and she told me no record of ammo or ammo having been made in the last 6 months (as far back as her records go). She thought it might go into production in the next few months.....So the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.....I'm still holding out for the February release date....I will keep bugging them and let you know what I find out....

Question......Does anyone have a proper barrel break in procedure for a new 450 Bushmaster.....Any thoughts..... ? ? ...............Thanks

[b] Discussion Thread
Response (Logan) 01/25/2011 08:34 AM
Unfortunately we generally do not ship directly to dealers so we do not have any way to tie into their available inventory systems. When looking for a specific item we recommend that you call our customer service Dept at 1-800-243-9700 and give them the item you’re looking for. They can then find out which distributors have taken the most recent shipments and your local dealer of choice can contact these distributors to see if they still have these items available.go2boats

Private messageE-mailm
go2boats

Re: Remington Ammo Cont.

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:37 am

go2boats wrote:Question......Does anyone have a proper barrel break in procedure for a new 450 Bushmaster.....Any thoughts..... ? ? ...............Thanks

Here's Bushmaster's answer.

I did not follow that regimen. I had given the bore a good going over with JB Bore Paste before ever putting the first round down it. Then at the range, 10 shots cleaning every shot. 15 shots cleaning every 3rd shot and 25 shots cleaning every 5 (for groups), followed by a final cleaning. Despite my effort, the barrel did not change noticeably until somewhere around 200 shots. I seem to recall mentioning it in one of my range reports last spring. Needless to say, this process is a lot more gentle on the wallet if you reload.

It's as much a talisman as a technical process. Yes, you should give them a little TLC early on. How much and how often seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. To me, the most important are those first, clean every shot ones, assuming you didn't burnish the barrel with JB or equivalent paste (I do not use the word lap to avoid tomato/tomahto arguments). It stands to reason that you want to remove machining generated chaff every time some more is dislodged, rather than scrape them along the bore ahead of another round. I've saved my JB generated sludge from a CrMo barrel I was treating, loosened it up with some mineral spirits and stirred it with a strong magnet. I was genuinely surprised at the pile of debris the process had dislodged.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BD1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Typically chrome lined bores do not require "breaking in", only shooting.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:02 pm

I did the shoot one clean barrel shoot another clean the barrel (repeat 5 or 10 times), then every 5 rounds. Then I checked the FAQs on the Bushmaster website. Their recommendation is just to shoot the rifle. Here is what is posted on their site:

Question / Issue

What is the proper "break-in" procedure for a chrome lined AR barrel?

Answer / Solution

After firing a couple hundred rounds, the chrome lining will "polish out" from its light, flat gray, factory-new look to a brightly reflective, polished appearance. During this break-in period, excessive cleaning with solvent or brush should be avoided as that will only prolong the time (and number of rounds) it takes to achieve the final "bullet polishing" of the barrel.

Direct Link to This FAQ

http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/?f=23

BTW, I posted this here because this is where a search for barrel break in led me, but this probably ought to have a topic of its own.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby BillytheKid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:41 pm

The "destructions" that came with my .450 upper recommended this for break in:

New barrel break in procedure:

Powder solvent cleaning to strip out the heavy oil it was shipped in.

Shoot one round. Clean with powder solvent. Then clean with copper solvent. Then clean copper solvent residue with powder solvent. Repeat this for 10 rounds.

Shoot 5 rounds. Clean with powder solvent. Then clean with copper solvent. Then clean copper solvent residue with powder solvent. Repeat this for 10 rounds.

Shoot 10 rounds. Clean with powder solvent. Then clean with copper solvent. Then clean copper solvent residue with powder solvent. Repeat this for 20 rounds.

Continued break in procedure will be:

Shoot 20 rounds. Clean with powder solvent. Then clean with copper solvent. Then clean copper solvent residue with powder solvent. Repeat this until 100 total rounds have been shot.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Return to AR15 Style Rifles