Cold weather lubes

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Cold weather lubes

Postby Jmeier1981 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:05 pm

Does anyone make a good lube that will work in cold winter weather... Preferably one that is odorless for hunting, or at least really low odor. Ibe got some Froglube but it stinks really bad, Ive also got another CLP of some kind cant remember the name off hand and its pretty stinky too... I do have some lucas extreme gun oil that seems to have very little odor but it seems really thick and I dont want to worry about cold weather gumming it up.
Jmeier1981

Re: Cold weather lubes

Postby Hoot » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:52 pm

Slip 2000 EWL is low viscosity and fairly low odor. You're not bow hunting. As long as you're not squirting the stuff all around where you hunt, you should be okay. I used to use Triflow before more sophisticated stuff came along. Strong odor of artificial banana. Deer didn't seem to mind. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:04 am

i run hornady one shot. its a "dry" lube so nothing to gum up when it gets cold.
plant_one

Postby sakremer » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:33 pm

Springco offers their MGL Lube.
http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html, at the bottom of the page.

Tried the product last week in cold temps and had no issues with cycling after having freeze up after freeze up with regular grease before. Temps were low 30's and upper 20's.
sakremer

Postby Hoot » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:41 pm

sakremer wrote:Springco offers their MGL Lube.

Tried the product last week in cold temps and had no issues with cycling after having freeze up after freeze up with regular grease before. Temps were low 30's and upper 20's.

Those are pretty impressive specs. I'm a fool for new lubes. May have to give some a try!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby dantheman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 am

I use Slip 2000 and like it so much I've been using it on my Browning BLR as well. So far so good....no issues.

Dan
dantheman

Postby kklatt450 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:34 pm

I also use slip 2000 and awg from the same company. https://www.amazon.com/Slip2000-60341-S ... ref=plSrch
kklatt450

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:25 pm

I use Hornady One shot HD-Extreme. There was an extensive test done by an average person with a bunch of lubes for a few different tests. Not scientific, but some very good test parameters. Hornady was one of the best over all, and it’s a dry lube. I tried it, and have used it since. Very good against corrosion, and very slick, especially if your using melonite or a NiB BCG. What I have found works best, is to use a lighter oil during break in, and run it wet. After break in, strip everything down, and get all the carbon and oil off (I use quite a bit of brake cleaner here). Then use the Hornady sparingly on just about everything, except the barrel. For barrel oil (not cleaning), I currently use Amsoil, but honestly it’s because a buddy got a deal on it when it came out, so figured why not. Haven’t found anything bad with it, and I use the oil during break in, but after it’s up I’ll probably switch to something more common.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:28 pm

Hoot wrote:

Those are pretty impressive specs. I'm a fool for new lubes. May have to give some a try!

Hoot

$11.00 S/H for a 4 oz bottle of the stuff just changed my mind... :|

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Hoot wrote:
Hoot wrote:

Hoot

$11.00 S/H for a 4 oz bottle of the stuff just changed my mind... :|

Hoot

They gave me a 20% LEO discount so I ordered it. Will report in when it arrives at work. That's assuming I get to it before the mongrels I work with get to it. ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Return to AR15 Style Rifles