AR-Stoner upper update

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

AR-Stoner upper update

Postby Dave_H » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:48 am

I got my AR-Stoner upper over the summer. Since then I've put over 200 rounds through it. It is on a factory RRA lower with a 2-stage trigger and has a 3 x 9 Leupold mounted on it.

Originally it would not feed Remington ammo, but it fed Hornady and Winchester just fine. I added a SilencerCo muzzle brake and a Hybrid Suppressor. The additional gas must help, because it will run Remington ammo with the can mounted. I've had good results with AR-Stoner magazines and 10-round 6.5 Grendel magazines (with an added notch).

Accuracy with the can is 2-3 inch groups at 200 yards (when I do my part) and it shoots Remington and Hornady ammo to almost the same POI. The Hybrid gives the rifle a different recoil profile, it seems to push straight back. It is also comfortable to shoot without hearing protection.

Overall I'm impressed. It is accurate and the round hammers deer.

Dave_H

Re: AR-Stoner upper update

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:09 am

That's plenty accurate for hunting. Does that stock have an adjustable comb thaty's not visible in the picture? I ask because out at 100 yds and beyond, a good cheekweld is essential for consistent groups. If I was shooting your rig with a good cheekweld, my eye level would be way below the scope and I have a big head. I usually mount my scopes as low as the objective allows without touching the top of the rifle.

just sayin...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Scope mount looks high to me as well.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Dave_H » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:40 am

The scope was already in the mount when I moved it over. You've got me thinking now. I may need to get some regular rings and lower it.

I'm also considering going to a fixed stock. But the collapsing stock is convenient for storage and moving in tight spaces.
Dave_H

Postby Hoot » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:39 am

Dave_H wrote:The scope was already in the mount when I moved it over. You've got me thinking now. I may need to get some regular rings and lower it.

I'm also considering going to a fixed stock. But the collapsing stock is convenient for storage and moving in tight spaces.

I like A1 stocks with a black Limbsaver Medium slip-on recoil pad which brings the dimension back up to an A2 stock. I'm no "junior miss" but an A2 stock with the slip-on is too long for optimum fit. IMHO, the slip-on Limbsaver is the most bang for buck addition for reducing perceived recoil and I've tried it all. I can't warm up to a stock that looks like a prosthetic leg though the Magpul PRS is amazing to shoulder when set up for one's unique dimensions. Little pricey though.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby T3BEAR » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:09 am

It's hard to tell from that pic but I would want to move that scope forward and down.
Usually Leupold scopes have good eye relief so a AR offset scope mount would work.
T3BEAR

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:00 pm

T3BEAR wrote:It's hard to tell from that pic but I would want to move that scope forward and down.
Usually Leupold scopes have good eye relief so a AR offset scope mount would work.

I missed it the first time around, but I would be wary of any scope, if the eyepiece extends beyond the charging handle. Ask me how I know. An offset scope mount would be my preference to both lower the scope and get more eye relief.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Return to AR15 Style Rifles